• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Covid 19 Lab connection

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Sort of hate to bring this up, due to the possibility of it spinning out of control. Why does anyone care if the virus escaped from a Chinese lab? As near as I can tell, there is no claim that it was created in the lab. Most likely they were characterizing it and someone got careless. Why the effort to "prove" the Chinese gov't is secretive, that is already a given.

Please, keep this politics free.

Bill

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
If we knew where it came from and what is in it, it would be easier to treat and come up with a real vaccine.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
If we knew where it came from and what is in it, it would be easier to treat and come up with a real vaccine.
Exactly.

Wife© is a microbiologist and she’s been apoplectic throughout this whole mess, watching the incredibly insane way it’s all been handled. Don’t get me started.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I dont think what is in it is in question anymore... That's kind of worked out now.. So im not sure pinning its origin down for that reason is the driver.

While i agree with Bill that it is a given the "party" tried to conceal it at the start, and ill say imho at least initially i doubt they knew what they were dealing with (not that excuses hiding it and being deceptive about its spread etc) but it would be good to actaully know it's origin and why it got out... ( Someone taking their sandwich into the sealed room? ;-p.... ) Just so measures could be taken to force proper procedures to be taken and also...not that it will bring people back or compensate etc...but some accountability would be nice...
Same goes for govts globally who despite seeing it rage in other countries went with denial.... And woth predictable outcomes... :(

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Sort of hate to bring this up, due to the possibility of it spinning out of control. Why does anyone care if the virus escaped from a Chinese lab? As near as I can tell, there is no claim that it was created in the lab. Most likely they were characterizing it and someone got careless. Why the effort to "prove" the Chinese gov't is secretive, that is already a given.

Please, keep this politics free. Bill

Bill,

I'm wondering if you recall when this all started, the news stories about China's reaction in Wuhan?

The near instantaneous reaction with "quarantine tent city" implementations, and I think I recall (probably wrongly) the reports of mass vaccinations. Finally, accomplishing the near immediate ending of Cvd-19 in China.

It would seem that China is/was amazingly prepared to mobilize for a "NBC" accident or attack. On the other hand, having an already prepped and available vaccine would kind of make one think of a strange chain of events. I also don't recall hearing about any help given by China to help diagnose or develop vaccines. Knowing China doesn't easily share information that might denigrate the county's self image or advantage, there's no surprise there.

sunbeamowner

Bronze Level Sponsor
The problem is not where it came from but the denial and the allowing of thousands of people to leave the area and travel around the world, for an annual celebration. The world gets smaller every year.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Bill,

I'm wondering if you recall when this all started, the news stories about China's reaction in Wuhan?

The near instantaneous reaction with "quarantine tent city" implementations, and I think I recall (probably wrongly) the reports of mass vaccinations. Finally, accomplishing the near immediate ending of Cvd-19 in China.

Yup.. You are remembering wrong...

There was no vaccines in China back then.. I fact their vaccines started trialing and implementation after the west.

The suppression of Covid19 was not immediate.. Wuhan was in the worlds hardest lockdown for 3 months.. You couldn't leave your apartment ( as in not even go into the corridor) and the methods to keep people inside were draconian.

The rest of the country was in lockdown for about 5 weeks.. And they dont tollerate people protesting not being able to do what they want.. Their rights etc .. So they managed to supress the virus effectively and introduced strict quaratine protocols for all arrivals and closed borders to foregin entries.

Its not over in china.. Its ruthlessly monitored and acted upon with invasive tracking and immediate quaratining of any cases.. They are doing it in guangzhou right now.

Did it start in CN ..yup... Did they conceal it while they could trying to sort it before it got out.. Yup... Did they deal with the reality of it finally and take meausres to bring it under control... Yup...
Did other countries laugh it off as a developing world issue... Not worry when it was raging in italy etc.. Yup... Did they pay a heavy toll.. Yup...

I think CN handled the outbreak poorly at the start.. And while i cut some slack for intial lack of knowledge they still concealed it after they had an idea what was going on...
However its depressing seeing how poorly most of the western world handled it.. And for all the talk of cn concealing it... You had people in our systems who were well aware of the danger, statistics and risk calling it fake... Calling it a simple flu or the sniffles ans telling people it's a hoax....

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yup.. You are remembering wrong.....

Michael,

Yep - no surprise.

I was still employed at that point. I only followed the news in bits here and there. Also, since Cvd-19 made it ashore here, China sort of fell out of the news picture. Imagine that. Of course at that point, home grown Cvd-19 was blended into our political silly season. :rolleyes: o_O

Thanks for your clarification.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Michael,

Yep - no surprise.

I was still employed at that point. I only followed the news in bits here and there. Also, since Cvd-19 made it ashore here, China sort of fell out of the news picture. Imagine that. Of course at that point, home grown Cvd-19 was blended into our political silly season. :rolleyes: o_O

Thanks for your clarification.
Its been a total sh1tshow globally for everyone... Sadly it could have been used to bring the world to work together...
Seems to have gone the other way.. And uses to leverage greater divisions even internally.... All a bit sad really.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes unfortunately. People the world over find they can gain power through division. As a result, things you would consider to be no brainers have become very contentious. Simple things like a vaccination that can not only save your life, but prevent you from living for years as a bed ridden invalid. I have a cousin in that condition. Got Covid early in December and is unable to walk 5 feet. Was discharged from a nursing home six weeks ago, promptly took a tumble and so was readmitted. And there he stays until he gains strength, which is not happening.

Bill