• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rookie question

kiwichris

Donation Time
Did the Tiger use the Alpine suspension and rear axle. Hard to believe a Husky rear axle would survive a 260/289 engine

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Did the Tiger use the Alpine suspension and rear axle. Hard to believe a Husky rear axle would survive a 260/289 engine
Yes and no.

The tiger used the alpine front suspension with its own coil springs and a thicker sway bar.
The answer to the rear axle is however negatron. Rootes chose to use a Salisbury 4HA IIRC (Dana 44) which has stronger axles and a larger R&P.

kiwichris

Donation Time
Yes and no.

The tiger used the alpine front suspension with its own coil springs and a thicker sway bar.
The answer to the rear axle is however negatron. Rootes chose to use a Salisbury 4HA IIRC (Dana 44) which has stronger axles and a larger R&P.
Ok that makes sense. I’m learning
Think I may go with a Ford 8” narrowed to suit

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
"Ok that makes sense. I’m learning
Think I may go with a Ford 8” narrowed to suit"

Why?

The stock Dana 44 and axles setup is pretty strong.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Why?

The stock Dana 44 and axles setup is pretty strong.

Allan,

Think it's because he's starting down the "cut and paste" path to hi-performance. Kiwichris has a complete '61 Alpine drive train listed in the for sale forum.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Well that is a different way to get three peddles to fit.

upload_2021-5-16_15-22-24.png

I don't think it would work with my long legs however.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Looks like he could have moved the brake pedal over like the Tiger and put the gas pedal down and further forward. I think the tunnel didn't have to be as wide.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Dana 44 has been used over 500hp but the Jeep one piece 30 spline axles are stronger than the Tigers separate hub/axles. Look for a Postal Jeep or 72-75 CJ5 axle. Or Jag or Corvette IRS which uses a Dana 44.

Last edited:

watisit

Diamond Level Sponsor
3A96FFC9-D424-4DCA-A8CA-277BA06815B6.jpeg A little off topic bu Ive not long finished my 63.5 falcon with a coyote conversion. It was a massive amount of work! I can’t imagine it fitting in a alpine.....3A96FFC9-D424-4DCA-A8CA-277BA06815B6.jpeg

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yes and no.

Gotta disagree here.

Unmodified stock Alpine and Tiger front suspensions are very different, as is the steering. The only front member components that are common are the spindles, calipers, rotors, hubs and upper control arms.

Mark ..... volvoguys

kiwichris

Donation Time
Dana 44 has been used over 500hp but the Jeep one piece 30 spline axles are stronger than the Tigers separate hub/axles. Look for a Postal Jeep or 72-75 CJ5 axle. Or Jag or Corvette IRS which uses a Dana 44.
Are you saying the Tiger had IRS like the jag and corvette???