• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

the simple solution to traffic

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
For a good show, check out figure 8 late model stock car racing. Close as you'll get to that video of driverless intersections.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
They are building a beltway near me and the exit up the road will use a Diverging Diamond interchange.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Saw something like the circular road delay on either Myth Busters or Top Gear, where the front car that started the slow down eventually caught up to the last car and the slow down.

Mike,

I first saw a clip on YT several years ago from a study conducted in 1930's(?) Germany. They were filming different scenarios on a circle track full of Beetles with only one driver having instructions other than to try to maintain a steady speed, IIRC. It was sort of like watching a clown car race. I didn't find that clip this time.

A few years ago, there was an interchange improvement project on I40 near where I worked. The standard type interchange was replaced with a DD interchange. The DD interchange does an excellent job of improving safety and travel flow, but I only rarely crossed over the interchange without having to stop at a traffic signal on each side of the interstate.