• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Stereo Install.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Spent some time over the holidays installing a stereo in the Alpine. Metal box with 3 D printed hinged cover plate. The cover has 2 small magnets to keep it closed. Sprayed everything with crinkle paint and then glued a fender script (had broken off pins but otherwise in good shape) to the cover. Speakers were sunk into the area behind the kick panels so the covers are almost flush.

Mike

Attachments

• 20201231_104652.jpg
    20201231_104652.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 153
  • 20201231_104702.jpg
    20201231_104702.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 148
  • 20201231_104559.jpg
    20201231_104559.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 149
  • 20201231_104719.jpg
    20201231_104719.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 150

mikephillips

Donation Time
Good job. One thing I will note though for those who are still positive ground cars. If you use a negative ground radio you have to be careful about the body grounding since they don't match. Years ago I used a negative ground in a positive ground car, made the case from wood, insulated the antenna from body contact and ran a ground to the battery. Otherwise wouldn't work due to the mix of polarities. You can find positive ground radios, this is just a "be aware" for someone who might use a secondhand one from a junkyard or such.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks guys. Sometimes I like to listen to the car, but sometimes it's nice to have tunes! I put in a new wiring harness with negative ground during the resto, but good to mention for others that are running "original".

Glenn

Donation Time
I think it looks great. I have ideas to install speakers in the same location. I really like the surround on the head unit - it looks good.

JSLoeffl

Gold Level Sponsor
Here's a cheap alternative. About $13 bucks for the surround and few metal scraps from the shop. Don't have a picture of it installed right now, as I have the dash panel removed for resurfacing and gauge repair. Once installed, the appearance and location is similar to Mike's. The top plate I used has numerous mounting holes as I experimented with different depths to get the right look under the dash. Using the rear holes worked out best for appearance. The front edge of the plate sits on the lower dash roll angle and the two rear holes mount to the L brackets on the horizontal struts.
Joey

L Brackets under dash.jpg Toyota Corolla Radio Box @ $13.00 .jpg Toyota Radio Box with Side Mounting Plates.jpg Toyota Radio Box with Top Mounting Plate.jpg

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Joey,
The speakers are Pyle 3-way 6.5" round. I sunk them into the space behind the kick panel. It was a lot of extra work, but I didn't want them to be in the way and getting kicked. Your suggestions should work out fine. I made my whole set-up - mainly because I like doing that kind of stuff, but I also didn't want anything looking modern in the cockpit. My car is far from original, but I like to keep it looking as "period" as I can.

Mike