• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rear brake assembly needed

Clois Harlan

Donation Time
My name is Clois Harlan and I am new here. I recently acquired a true barn find 67 Alpine. It had been stored in a dirt floor barn since 1988. The tires and wheels were completely rusted out and had to have new wheels and tires to move it. What I didn’t look at was the rear brakes which were already removed including all adjusters, springs etc. I knew I would be replacing the floors and trunk area metal.
I ordered néw shoes and wheel cylinders but I have no idea we’re to find all the springs, EB levers, brackets, etc.. As you might guess as my rebuild progresses I will be needing other things and probably asking some dumb questions. Asking your forgiveness in advance.upload_2020-12-16_17-1-27.png
Any help would be greatly appreciated

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Clois,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your acquisition.

You should feel free to list your find with the site registry. From your description, I'll guess your car isn't included (one of the links at the bottom of the home page. You can also find a link to the work shop manual in PDF. The appropriate manual is WSM 145 for the series V Alpines.

For a bit more help on your question, if you would post your VIN and hopefully a picture or so of backing plate and any loose brake parts that might be with the car. The initial production of sV's came with a self adjusting rear brake set up that proved problematic and was dropped in later production. Many sV's that originally had the self adjusters, were changed to manual adjusters for various reasons.

Hope this helps,

Clois Harlan

Donation Time
372C774C-3026-4D63-AC38-3EC0C8FD5156.jpeg BEA08498-5B63-45D2-9840-A54FEA39F057.jpeg
My name is Clois Harlan and I am new here. I recently acquired a true barn find 67 Alpine. It had been stored in a dirt floor barn since 1988. The tires and wheels were completely rusted out and had to have new wheels and tires to move it. What I didn’t look at was the rear brakes which were already removed including all adjusters, springs etc. I knew I would be replacing the floors and trunk area metal.
I ordered néw shoes and wheel cylinders but I have no idea we’re to find all the springs, EB levers, brackets, etc.. As you might guess as my rebuild progresses I will be needing other things and probably asking some dumb questions. Asking your forgiveness in advance.View attachment 21824
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 6F81B3FB-8D5D-42B4-ADFB-278F2F509D5C.jpeg
    6F81B3FB-8D5D-42B4-ADFB-278F2F509D5C.jpeg
    279.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 331F8152-64D3-4607-8B79-BB4FB7698EF8.jpeg
    331F8152-64D3-4607-8B79-BB4FB7698EF8.jpeg
    393 KB · Views: 54

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
TAke a look at my Rear Disc Kit for the ALpine/Tiger you may like it for the simplistic replacement and operation.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Clois,

Just curious, what vision do you have for your car?

Interesting steering wheel, it's not stock. I also noticed the spare tire well in the trunk floor has been removed and patched - and the patch is about rusted away. Think you have some work ahead of you.

Clois Harlan

Donation Time
View attachment 21835 View attachment 21836 I have added photos of my sn B 395011821 LRX
As well as my brake backing plate and other shots
Clois,

Just curious, what vision do you have for your car?

Interesting steering wheel, it's not stock. I also noticed the spare tire well in the trunk floor has been removed and patched - and the patch is about rusted away. Think you have some work ahead of you.
I have lots of work ahead but since I am retired I can work on it at a fair pace plus my shop has heat and ac which is important here.

Clois Harlan

Donation Time
I have lots of work ahead but since I am retired I can work on it at a fair pace plus my shop has heat and ac which is important here.
Also, I can do most of the work myself including most mechanical, welding, and paint and body. I worked at a paint and body shop while in college. (Didn’t get that football scholarship)).

Clois Harlan

Donation Time
My intent is to go back close to stock and sell it to my school teacher daughter who will drive to her school about 3 miles from her house. When she turned 16 she wanted a Tiger. She settled for used Mercur XR4TI.

mikephillips

Donation Time
To go back to original type rears I'd recommend getting the manual adjust type setups from a Series IV or V rather than the self adjusting. The self adjusting adjusters and the pin with serrated wheel are handed and were always problematic as they'd seize. The self adjusting while yes requiring manual adjusting every now and then are the same side to side. So you'd need manual adjust back plates, brake drums and two of the emergency brake arms as original parts. The cylinders and retainers, use the later 2 piece retainers, brake shoes, springs and shoe retaining pins/springs can all be obtained new. Easier to obtain since their use spanned a longer time period. And the self adjusting specific adjuster hardware can be hard to find.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
I agree with Mike-just redid the rear brakes on a late S5 with those crummy self adjusters-both had locked up solid. I will convert them to earlier brakes if they act up again! Oh and I found out the brake shoes are different for them too.

Clois Harlan

Donation Time
To go back to original type rears I'd recommend getting the manual adjust type setups from a Series IV or V rather than the self adjusting. The self adjusting adjusters and the pin with serrated wheel are handed and were always problematic as they'd seize. The self adjusting while yes requiring manual adjusting every now and then are the same side to side. So you'd need manual adjust back plates, brake drums and two of the emergency brake arms as original parts. The cylinders and retainers, use the later 2 piece retainers, brake shoes, springs and shoe retaining pins/springs can all be obtained new. Easier to obtain since their use spanned a longer time period. And the self adjusting specific adjuster hardware can be hard to find.
Thanks so much I am new to the English Market although I have had a Triumph Spitfire in 72
Clois,

We run The Sunbeam Alpine Channel on YouTube.

There you will find over 70 videos covering all manner of jobs that you need to do on Alpines, including restorations of some very rusty cars! Please subscribe to the channel, it is run for the benefit of all Alpine owners.

Tim R

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9bNv4byJ3EjfBpUv2r9DVQ?view_as=subscriber
Clois,

We run The Sunbeam Alpine Channel on YouTube.

There you will find over 70 videos covering all manner of jobs that you need to do on Alpines, including restorations of some very rusty cars! Please subscribe to the channel, it is run for the benefit of all Alpine owners.

Tim R

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9bNv4byJ3EjfBpUv2r9DVQ?view_as=subscriber
When you say Subscribe is there a fee and if so how much and where do you pay?

Clois Harlan

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
That is mainly why I went to the rear disc. Simple, functional, easily repair/replacement of the pads and better stopping performance.

Clois Harlan

Donation Time
TAke a look at my Rear Disc Kit for the ALpine/Tiger you may like it for the simplistic replacement and operation.
Give me an idea of the total cost of your rear disc brake kit.
I take it the Toyota rotors and calipers need to be sourced from a salvage vehicle?