• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Now I'm in for it.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yes, still blue with white stripes. Here is a sample from two angles to show the flake. No flake in the white stripes.

16044194094046079574109090527732.jpg 16044195055701245891285251515596.jpg

Last edited:

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hey, can anyone send me a photo of the various lift-the dot posts and or snaps that go around the back of the tub? The shop was asking if I wanted any or all those holes welded shut. I don't want that done, but I need to get a count of the various parts I need to source so that I can snap down both a convertible top and a boot cover. I already have the boot cover from SS. It came with lift-the dot snaps, but no posts.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
So I have been really on the fence about having a roll bar or not. I stumbled across this one for cheap on craigslist, so the low price combined with my desire for a higher mounting point for my shoulder belt won out.26095.jpeg

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
So, semi interesting story to go with the roll bar. I asked the seller what happened to the car it came out of? He said he works for a car collector, making cars to the collectors desires. He has a bunch of what he calls crime fighter cars. He took the roll bar out of an alpine to make a Get Smart car, since the one in the show did not have a roll bar (no idea if it has an under hood canon or not). I guess he has a bat mobile, a scooby doo mystery machine, a green hornet black beauty and others. I don't know if I will get to see any of those when I collect the roll bar later this week.

watisit

Diamond Level Sponsor
Nice!
I was on the fence about bar/hoop. I bit the bullet and got one for the reasons you mentioned. I tried it for a while with the low back seats then it took me in a total different direction with the car (seats, wheels etc) I even was able to install a wind deflector to the hoop which was a big game changer whilst driving at speed. My winter project is to sort out the higher mounting 3 point seat belts, now I have higher seats etc. Good luck with the project.
Cheers Jason

Attachments

• 8FE6BF9E-A294-44A8-ACE6-0C7A01DCC4BF.jpeg
    8FE6BF9E-A294-44A8-ACE6-0C7A01DCC4BF.jpeg
    603 KB · Views: 62
  • 110819EC-AB63-4A8D-8810-7875F831E8E2.jpeg
    110819EC-AB63-4A8D-8810-7875F831E8E2.jpeg
    377 KB · Views: 63
  • 2D25129E-8515-4AE4-9D14-BBE0F7E69216.jpeg
    2D25129E-8515-4AE4-9D14-BBE0F7E69216.jpeg
    559.5 KB · Views: 62

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I drove about 3 hours to pick up the roll bar today. I'm glad i decided to get it, but I may look at adding some type of head restaint since I am using the original low back seats. What have any of you worked out for restraints?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
How did you attach them to the seat frame? Of course, I already have the new seat covers installed.
A small square tubing framework was fabricated to accept the headrest "legs" and was welded onto the seatback frame. That's all I know. I had taken the seats to a local upholster for a complete redo of the soft parts and mentioned I wanted headrests. He reached under his work table, pulled these out and said "How about these?" I said "Perfect." He and the welding shop next door did the rest. I must admit they are a total home run. Look great, are adjustable and functional.

Bill

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am thinking about getting a pair of these and recovering them in vinyl to match my tan interior.

Attachments

• upload_2020-12-13_12-23-5.png
    upload_2020-12-13_12-23-5.png
    48.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Have any of you added head restraints to a roll bar?
I have. In fact, this was the sole reason I put the rollbar in. I had mine made, but I think the head restraint design could be adapted to manufactured bars.

19E97149-6185-499B-A5D5-C3AC7C910C17_1_201_a.jpeg
2F4D6BBD-559F-41DE-8BAA-C131D7D38CB3_1_201_a.jpeg

I made the head restraints myself and had the vinyl covers made by an upholstery shop. You can see in the second photo that they are two piece. The back is just a piece of 3/8" plywood covered in vinyl. The back is held to the rollbar by two muffler clamps. You can just see the backs of the clamps peaking above the padding. The front part of the restraints is made from thicker plywood (I don't remember exactly what size, probably 3/4" but it was whatever I had laying around. I used two of layers kneeling pads (something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars...1-5-in-Kneeling-Cushion-394190-1001/309976807) for the main layer of padding - they were the most dense foam I could find - with a thin layer of something much softer as a top layer. If I had it to do over, I'd probably use one more layer of the knee pad foam and make them a little thicker.

Now, this is certainly not NHTSA-approved and I have absolutely no idea if they would give me any protection in an accident. (FWIW, the muffler clamps bolts were cutoff right at the nut and the thicker plywood was drilled so that the nuts are completely covered by the wood.) But, hopefully this will give you some ideas.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
It does give me some ideas. I think I will need mine mounted to the top tube. I am exceedingly tall and am afraid of cracking my skull open in the event of a rear end accident. I wont know for sure till i get the car back and can get the seats and rollbar in.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
On to the next thing. I am now seriously looking at a rear end swap from a postal jeep. For any of you who have made this swap, other than drilling the flanges to match a 4 bolt pattern, what changes will need to be made? Are the spring perches in the right location, or do those need to be cut of and moved? Just want to know what I am getting myself into.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
On to the next thing. I am now seriously looking at a rear end swap from a postal jeep. For any of you who have made this swap, other than drilling the flanges to match a 4 bolt pattern, what changes will need to be made? Are the spring perches in the right location, or do those need to be cut of and moved? Just want to know what I am getting myself into.

Try this link. This will give you reading material for awhile, I imagine.

Story of the axle starts on page 2, post #31, and continues off and on for a while. The installation in the Minx is very similar but not completely identical.

Don't get lost,

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=332026&page=1

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
That's a good build but he went 4 link and coil overs. You just have to copy the spring perches on the Alpine rear. You need to cut the flange and center nub of the axle down. Drill the 4 x 4.25" pattern. You want the mid 70's one that is 3.07 Trac-Lok for the auto trans.

Last edited:

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
While that is an interesting thread, I don't plan to change the suspension the way that builder did. I just want a straight swap from the stock rear end to the Dana. Thanks for the link all the same.

Oh, didn't see Jims reply before posting.

I am in contact with the guy from Postal Jeep Parts. I am working with him to make sure I get the 3.07 gears and traction loc rear end. A buddy of mine is going down to Alabama over Christmas and will be able to bring back a rear end if I get one purchased by then.

I plan to check out the motor a bit more in the next two weeks. I have a pressure let down tester now, so I will check compression in each cylinder. I have ordered a new distributor, coil and plug wires, so I will get that installed. I seem to be missing the bolt for the harmonic balancer, so I need to source that. I will take the valve covers and oil pan off and do a little inspection there. Hopefully I don't find anything to scarry.

Last edited: