• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Heater Core Question

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
I'm going through my SIV again for small things (hooking up windshield washer, etc.) and thought about this, so please set me straight: I am pretty sure my heater core works. The "knobs" (using this term but I mean the two switches that turn on and off things for the heater) I have are pretty rusted so I'll be replacing those with NOS ones I picked up recently.

Now my question is this: Since the hoses I have run from the head to the heater and I'm assuming back into the engine to circulate fluid from the radiator, is there anything I have to concern myself with if the radiator turns out to be damaged/not working/etc? The last thing I want is for my head to rot. I can tell you that I'm using the right kind of antifreeze in my radiator for this to happen but since fluid circulates through the heater core and into the head/engine I figure I would ask.

I haven't gone through the WSM on it yet but will do so later today.

I'm considering going through the heater and blower (a 2 speed that works flawlessly) since it's something I haven't done and from looking at it from under the dashboard (I have not yet unbolted the bonnet lock off to take a look at the core itself) it looks as if it was untouched. Any advice on this? If I'm being far too paranoid, please say so but I want my 1725 to last and I want to take care of it even though I let it sit for abit before. Thanks in advance!

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
You might remove the heater core and flush if it has been stored for an extended period.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
You might remove the heater core and flush if it has been stored for an extended period.
Dans right on the mark with that, The last one I did was filled ) read plugged up) with Bars Leak.
Wasn't going to put out too much heat!
Cheers!
Steve

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
If the heater core is very difficult to remove it will be because the ends are bulged out from too much pressure, caused by either too high of a radiator cap, or over heating.
A good heater core should slide in and out fairly easily. New cores with reinforced ends are available from Sunbeam sources.

At times you may have to force the bulged ends with a pry bar to get it out.