• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Pulling V8 and Trans Out

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Can I get some help on whether or not I'm able to pull the V8 and trans out of the Tiger from the top? I've heard stories where it might have to come out of the bottom instead.

Thanks
I installed mine from the top as per workshop manual instructions. I also removed an engine from a different Tiger that I owned..again, from the top. P
3C737E3A-CD6B-4B07-A8A8-28A21AD0B32E.jpeg

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Good question. I am thinking about trying to install my headers before I drop the engine back in. I know they were once on the engine while it was in the car. You can see where they have been massaged a bit to fit.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Good question. I am thinking about trying to install my headers before I drop the engine back in. I know they were once on the engine while it was in the car. You can see where they have been massaged a bit to fit.
I installed the headers after the engine was installed.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
And I think that is the normal way of doing it. I am just considering sliding the engine in with the headers loosely attached and see if it works. It would just be easier to get the headers attached while the engine is on the stand instead of fishing them in afterwords. If it cant be done, I will just jack the lift back up, take the headers off and drop the engine again. I have to get the car back from paint first.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
Yep, I have easy access to the top of the bell housing.

View attachment 21217

Have you got a CLOSE UP of how the shifter is "fastened" to the trans, and the linkage ? how would you get the engine trans in /out with the shifter bolted on ? an "Access plate" ? on my trans, the shifter" linkage arm is pointing down, did you alter it, or.....? Thanks

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Since my trans tunnel is removable, I have no problem getting the trans in and out with the shifter attached.

Sorry, I dont have any close ups of the shifter linkage just now, and am not near the trans to take any.

I have cable linkage for the throttle, which includes the kick down cable for the trans.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
So, no problems with a "bolt in" tunnel ? was considering it, but people are telling me, there will be FLEX in the floor doing it that way. If you could Post photo of the linkage when you get a chance. appreciate it.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I took one out the top back in the day. My buddy and I used his Dad's big A-frame in the back yard. It would have been nice to have had a manual. It was a total nightmare as compared with dropping the cross member and then the engine, as is commonly done today.