• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Clutch Master rebuild

Murrfert

Donation Time
Hi All, planned on rebuilding the clutch master on my Series V and found when I pulled it it is not an Alpine unit but may have been replaced with the Tiger clutch master ( from looking at pictures) it is the correct bore but I can't figure how to withdraw the piston. I know I will need a different kit as well. Any advice is appreciated

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Probably post some PICs and any numbering available will help you get more precise answers.....

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
If the piston moves in the cylinder, just bang the cylinder on a hard surface like your work bench top, open bore with piston
facing the surface and it will work its way to the end and you'll be able to pull the piston out.

Don't worry, you won't hurt it, I've been doing it this way for years.

If it's rusted stuck inside you will have to soak it with penetrating spray. If it's really rusted, get a new one
as it's probably pitted badly and won't be worth rebuilding.
Hope that helps.
Cheers!
Steve

Murrfert

Donation Time
Here are some pics. On one side it say AM 03 and on the other PT 5/8. The Piston seems to be captured but I cant find or see an E ring or retainer. The pist

Attachments

• IMG_20201115_142236.jpg
    IMG_20201115_142236.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20201115_142247.jpg
    IMG_20201115_142247.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20201115_142256.jpg
    IMG_20201115_142256.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 48

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
There is no retainer. Put the filler cap back on, connect an air hose to the fitting and the air pressure will blow it out-put rags over the end and don't stand in the line of fire.......

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Looks very similar to the one I have on my car. That doesn't look to be stuck either.
Just bang the open end on your work top and it should just work its way out.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
That looks to be in nice condition. If you get it apart and find that the bore is pitted don't forget that you can get them sleeved rather than throw it away and buy a modern replacement.

Tim R