• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Upgrading 1725 Distributor setup?

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Is there a Petronix or like that I can easily install that uses the original distributor 'stalk' with or are all the units include the stalk setup? I've heard of the Nitro and Flamethrower but I'd like a recommendation from those who have an upgraded setup.

I have a 1725 running a Weber with stock distributor setup with vacuum advance. Since I intend to drive my IV regularly, I'm thinking of just spending the money and upgrading it. I'd prefer to buy one that I can pick up at a local retailer like Autozone/O'Reilly's but have no problem with spending the money if the value is there. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Not sure what you mean by "stalk".
The pertronics mounts to the base similar to how the points are mounted. The only other thing is that you put a magnet ring on the spindle cam that used to actuate the points.
They are a pretty good replacement for points but your distributor has to be fully operational (mechanical and vacuum advance working to spec).

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Not sure what you mean by "stalk".
The pertronics mounts to the base similar to how the points are mounted. The only other thing is that you put a magnet ring on the spindle cam that used to actuate the points.
They are a pretty good replacement for points but your distributor has to be fully operational (mechanical and vacuum advance working to spec).

Sorry, I call the entire distributor unit with the gear around the base at the bottom a stalk.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Pertonics does sell a complete dizzy IIRC, I wouldnt count on it being the same advance curve as the alpine lucas 25D unit since the driving force for that product is MGBs.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I had a new Petronix distributor installed in a new 1725 engine rebuild that I did, and it lasted about 30 minutes.
And that was the first...and last one I will ever use again because I troubleshooted for hours to pinpoint the problem. Because it was new, I thought it couldn't be the problem, but it was the problem.
Maybe the new ones are ok...I don't know.
Jan

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
I am running a Pertronix distributor on my 1725 and it seems to run pretty well. I have no idea about the advance curve of the distributor or how it matches up with the 1725. What is the curve supposed to be for the 1725? I assume Pertronix could tell me what the distributor is set up for.

I currently have the vacuum advance disconnected - when it is connected, it surges a small amount at cruise rpm. Haven't figured that one out yet. I assume that the vacuum advance is a diaphragm of some type. How likely is it that a 50+ year old diaphragm on an original distributor still has the same curve as it did when built?

gary1725

Donation Time
I also use the new complete Pertronix Distributer (rather than just the points replacement kit) on a 1725 - one did fail after about 5 years and yes I did not think distributer first - I thought coil because I fitted an old mismatched one to get me home - turned out the distributer was failing intermittently before dying altogether... that said I bought another and it has been great since.

I did see these but have not heard anything from Alpine folks

https://www.123ignition.de/123-ignition-en/ignition-distributor-sunbeam-alpine.aspx

but since it looks like you can create your own advance curve it would negate concerns of suitability - just not sure I know anything like enough to try that..

gary1725

Donation Time
Gary - what failed on the first one?
Honestly Mike - no idea - I had just completed a full restoration including engine rebuild so the distributor had been sat for 4 years in a box having been running fine when stripped down (one of the few things I didn't "just" replace - it did get a new cap and Rota :)) - it failed in the first 2000 miles or so, first time it felt like I was running out of gas, hesitant no power and then picked up just as I thought it was about to stall, next time same thing but it did stall but I was able to restart after a few minutes, next time took 30 minutes to restart - the last time I got it running with a different coil (that fooled me into buying a new Coil) - then it failed altogether never to restart, confirmed the Distributor by putting an old points Dissy back which ran fine so just ordered new distributor......

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Honestly Mike - no idea - I had just completed a full restoration including engine rebuild so the distributor had been sat for 4 years in a box having been running fine when stripped down (one of the few things I didn't "just" replace - it did get a new cap and Rota :)) - it failed in the first 2000 miles or so, first time it felt like I was running out of gas, hesitant no power and then picked up just as I thought it was about to stall, next time same thing but it did stall but I was able to restart after a few minutes, next time took 30 minutes to restart - the last time I got it running with a different coil (that fooled me into buying a new Coil) - then it failed altogether never to restart, confirmed the Distributor by putting an old points Dissy back which ran fine so just ordered new distributor......
Pertronix distributors need an in balisted coil

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
I got my Pertronix from another member on the forum, which he got from someone else as well. What had been done to it or how long it was used was unknown. When I first got the car back on the road, it was working fine. After a while I started having intermittent instances where the engine would quit as soon as I took my foot off the throttle and pushed in the clutch. When I tried to re-start it, it felt like a weak battery - the starter would engage and barely turn the engine over - or not. Long story short, I took the distributor apart and in the lower section found lots of aluminum chips/dust. The chips had gotten into the centrifugal advance mechanism and was causing it to stick with way too much advance for low rpm. Cleaned out the debris, lubed everything up and has been working perfectly ever since.

belmateo

Gold Level Sponsor
I got my Pertronix from another member on the forum, which he got from someone else as well. What had been done to it or how long it was used was unknown. When I first got the car back on the road, it was working fine. After a while I started having intermittent instances where the engine would quit as soon as I took my foot off the throttle and pushed in the clutch. When I tried to re-start it, it felt like a weak battery - the starter would engage and barely turn the engine over - or not. Long story short, I took the distributor apart and in the lower section found lots of aluminum chips/dust. The chips had gotten into the centrifugal advance mechanism and was causing it to stick with way too much advance for low rpm. Cleaned out the debris, lubed everything up and has been working perfectly ever since.

Any idea where those chips came from?

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
The aluminum housing. The roll pin that holds the gear on the shaft was bent, which cause the gear to sit high on the shaft, which in turn was pulling the shaft down from the inside. This caused one of the components to rub on the inside of the housing - as best I can tell.

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
That sounds scary O_O

I think I'll stick with stock. At least we all know it works lol. Thanks so much gang!

Well just because, my experience with an electronic module replacement for points (Accuspark) has been positive for the past 12 years.

I figure that having the original distributor (in good order) has eliminated any guess work on curves etc. and with a set of points in my tool kit I can fix it on the side of the road if the module quits.

So in essence the gains have been
  • first start every time
  • haven't touched the distributor in 12 years.

SASV66

Gold Level Sponsor
I am having some distributor related (hard cold starts, rough idle, difficulty setting timing) issues and either need have the one in the car rebuild or put in a replacement. Just so happens I received a Pertronix D1766oo distributor with/for my '66 SV. Anyone know or hear of the 1766 vs the 1724 being compatible with the SV 1725 motor?

Would love to just drop in a new one I already have but don't want to hassle with it if its not a sure thing replacement. Thanks in advance! (distributor pun intended)