• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Battery Box

elysiumhunter

Silver Level Sponsor
Does anyone know of a composite replacement battery box? I need to replace the rusted out one in my SV.
Thanks

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
One cannot use a "composite" battery box (fiberglass I assume), because the battery ground cable is bolted to it. So you must use steel, like 20ga.
Jan

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have them made for my Alpines. They are near original duplicates. ANd I have offered them for sale several times. Might still have one .........?

If you have your original box, I'd suggest careful removal and transcribe the measurements to a 20 ga sheet of metal, bend and weld for a finished product,

Pay special attention to the difference in the heights from front to back because there is a slight angle (purpose for this angle is to keep the battery level).

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
One cannot use a "composite" battery box (fiberglass I assume), because the battery ground cable is bolted to it. So you must use steel, like 20ga.
Jan

There is no technical reason that the battery box on a Series Alpine cannot be made from a composite material or that the battery ground cable has to connect to the battery box or that the battery box must be made from steel.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Barry, The only good reason I can tell is for originality.

I am not a purist so original is not a priority

loose_electron

Donation Time
Both methods would work. I've done a lot of fabrication in Fiberglass (boats) and it's a versatile medium. If you are putting a new battery box in I would think out a better way of securing the battery down.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
My thought is it will be easier to attach a steel box to the bench than a composite one.
Don't see the reasoning. The choices are rivets or welding vs rivets or epoxy. All choices are simple, easy and effective. I see the problem as a choice between something that will corrode and something that will not corrode. That's if a person is setup to work a thicker gauge of sheet metal. If he is not, there is no real choice short of spending thousands of dollars on tools.

Bill

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Barry, The only good reason I can tell is for originality.

I am not a purist so original is not a priority

Dan,

Are you suggesting that a replacement battery box (even if very skillfully duplicated) is original?

Think about it.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Barry, I am not suggesting any such thing:) After your question I read and re-read my POST and see where that could be taken as such.

My apologies, I was trying to address the the location of the battery connections and did not do a good job:eek:

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Don't see the reasoning. The choices are rivets or welding vs rivets or epoxy. All choices are simple, easy and effective. I see the problem as a choice between something that will corrode and something that will not corrode. That's if a person is setup to work a thicker gauge of sheet metal. If he is not, there is no real choice short of spending thousands of dollars on tools.

Bill
I guess in my experience, weld does a better job than epoxy at holding a 30 lb weight in a vertically dynamic system. Your mileage may vary.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
There is no technical reason that the battery box on a Series Alpine cannot be made from a composite material or that the battery ground cable has to connect to the battery box or that the battery box must be made from steel.
Barry, this is the "STOCK" Alpine forum
Jan

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
holding a 30 lb weight in a vertically dynamic system. Your mileage may vary.

Aladin, Take a look at your Alpine battery box, it is constructed with a "lip" around the complete box that supports the box, thus the battery is supported very well.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Barry, this is the "STOCK" Alpine forum
Jan
Jan, I think it is fair to say that if the OP was concerned about "stock" he would not be inquiring about a composite battery box. While this is the "Stock" forum, it is not an "Original" forum. We are all aware there is a lot of non-original stuff on stock Alpines.

Bill

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
My thoughts: If the box still has about 50% of it's metal, especially the bottom, it might be practical to simply "repair" the box using fiberglass and epoxy.

And all, please note the definition of this category in the Forum as noted under the forum label for "Stock" :
"For those striving to preserve the period look & feel of their car (but don't mind improvements in carb, brake, wiring, etc.)

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
What a better place to say , I'd cut one out of mine for the right price. Plus I've got the battery hold down for it that's stock.
It's at a location where I would probably eat about two or three Sawzall blades up can't make sparks.