• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Weber swap, what is needed?

Steeman01

Donation Time
Hey All,

I am in the process of collecting the needed manifold and weber card to remove the SU's. That being said, out side of those 2 parts (manifold and carb), what else am I going to need? Brackets, throttle linkage, etc? Any input (or links) is hugely appreciated. Thanks!

pruyter

Donation Time
If you order the Weber conversion as developped by both Webcon and the SAOC in the UK all you need is in the kit.

Regards,

Peter

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Buy the UK owners club kit from Alpine Innovations and you get everything. The curved manifold they sell is significantly better than the 4 branch 'log' manifold that is widely available and on which people often fit Weber carbs when doing a straight upgrade on earlier Series cars. The log manifold tends to pool fuel at No 1 and No4 inlet, there is no such problem with the AI manifold and the car drives superbly. My car now returns up to 41mpg and typically does between 340-350 miles to a tank full. That is MUCH more than I was getting previously. Typically I got 28-30 mpg and was re-fuelling after about 280 miles before.

Tim R

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I am in the process of collecting the needed manifold and weber card to remove the SU's. That being said, out side of those 2 parts (manifold and carb), what else am I going to need? Brackets, throttle linkage, etc? Any input (or links) is hugely appreciated. Thanks!
I am sure Tim is correct re: the value of the Alpine Innovations kit and that is definitely the way to go if you need everything and want to spend the money. However, as I recall, you have already sourced some of the part and are also looking to keep your costs down. In that case, I think you have the main components listed: manifold, carb, firewall bracket and throttle linkage. You may ultimately need some additional jets to get the carb properly dialed in to you motor, but that can wait until you get it up and running. As for the bracket and linkage, they aren't hard to fabricate if you want to spend the time. I made my bracket with some sheet metal, jig saw, a vice and a hammer and my linkage with some scrap bar stock, a metal mending plate and a mapp gas torch with some brazing rod. That was about 20 years ago and everything is still holding up. But, if you don't want to screw around with that and want something professionally made, contact Jan Servaites, aka JumpingJan, and just buy the set from him. This earlier discussion might help: http://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/inde...throttle-firewall-brackets.29176/#post-209026