• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

New Wheels.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
I was unable to find a set of used alloy wheels, so ended up purchasing a new set from John Brown Wheels in the UK. They are 13 X 5.5" Minilites and look to be very good quality. 4 wheels, chrome lug nuts and chrome valve stems plus shipping from UK was about $430. A terrific value in my opinion.

Mike

Attachments

• New Wheels.jpg
    New Wheels.jpg
    665 KB · Views: 103

alpine_64

Donation Time
Very nice looking S3 ... I JBW also do copies ofnthe Dunlop D1 and cosmics... Just wish they'd do them in 14×6

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks guys. They are 13 X 5.5" with 165/80 r13 tires. The tires were essentially new, so I stuck with the 13" wheels. I think the ratio of rubber to wheel looks right for the car to keep the period look.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I used 13 X 5.5" wheels with 165/80R tires for about 40,000 miles. The combo is good.

John Brown Wheels has the wheel I've been looking for, 15 X 5.5 with 15mm offset. I keep seeing online coupons for John Brown discounts up to 20%, but can't figure out exactly how they work. Did you use them, if so, what is the process?

Bill

62SNBMR

Gold Level Sponsor
Mike,
What brand is your tire? Happy with it? I need new tires, but only drive my car about 3K miles a year. Nothing hard, just touring. Don't want to pour a ton of money into tires I'll never wear out. Just want a good looking decent tire. Thanks!

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Bill - I did not have a coupon, I didn't know there were any floating around out there. 20% off would have been great, but the price was already really good compared to any other sources.

62SNBMR - they are Nankang CX668's that I bought off of Amazon. Pretty inexpensive (comparatively) and I have been really happy with them. Good ride and handling, low noise (says so right on the sidewall!).

alpine_64

Donation Time

62SNBMR - they are Nankang CX668's that I bought off of Amazon. Pretty inexpensive (comparatively) and I have been really happy with them. Good ride and handling, low noise (says so right on the sidewall!).

The nankank ar1 and the ns 2r are really good tyres...the ns 2r for road and a bit of track fun are great value.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
What tire pressure are you guys running with modern radial tires? Same as specified for the original bias plys or something else?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I find I have to run at least 26 psi in order to keep them rolling over onto the sidewall when cornering. So I run about 28.
Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
Mike.. For street you would want to be running about 32psi... I think for a street tyre and driving 26 is a bit on the low side and likely to load the steering a bit more than needed.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I've been running 26 psi. I think I didn't see 30 psi on a car until the 1980s? I've assumed the suspension won't like 30+ psi.

Mike

alpine_64

Donation Time
I've been running 26 psi. I think I didn't see 30 psi on a car until the 1980s? I've assumed the suspension won't like 30+ psi.
Mike
I run 195/60/14 radial sports tyres and run them 30-32psi and find it gives good handling and ride.

They are not over inflated as the tyres wear evenly.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The "chalk test" relates to the tire behavior under essentially static conditions (essentially zero speed). The behavior of a tire at close to 1,000 RPM (about 70 MPH with a factory diameter tire) is very different and is why tire manufacturers test tires under dynamic conditions.

Careful examination of the tire wear pattern will show if the tire pressure is correct (or not). Wear on both shoulders indicates under-inflation. Center wear indicates over-inflation. Even wear across the tread indicates correct inflation (and proper alignment). Uneven lateral wear is almost certainly an alignment issue.

For a properly matched wheel width and tire cross section width on a Series Alpine, I would start with a "cold" pressure of about 30 PSI and adjust as necessary. Note that the "best" tire pressure may not be the same for ride quality, traction, cornering behavior, steering feel, tread wear, etc.