• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Automatic to manual gearbox .are the engine the same as if it was automatic or manual

molly2010

Silver Level Sponsor
Are the engines for alpine Specified for automatic gearboxes or manual gearboxes is it the standard engine that came on the alpine

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
The engines are the same for all Alpines (within the Series) and they bolt to the different transmissions whether manual (4 sp) or auto (BW35).

The transmission mount brackets and the mount positions vary between the two (2) different types on transmissions (Manual/Automatic).

The Standard (manual) had 4 bolts flanges each side on the floor panel and the Automatic (BW35) has three (3) bolt flanges.

I have pictures of the differences between the two different brackets and the floor panel mount holes. I will post later if need be.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Two other things to consider:
  1. The automatic was only offered on the SIV and while the SIV engine was the same displacement as the S3, it was slightly different from the SI, SII and SV. But, as Dan said, there were no engine differences between the engines in the SIV manual and the SIV automatic.
  2. I may be wrong on this, but am pretty sure the SIV automatic only came with a single carb. So, while not an engine difference per se, it is another thing that differentiated the manual and the automatic cars.

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
The BIG difference is in the fly wheel , the BW35 fly wheel was a ring with the torque converter welded to it!
They do all mate up the same regardless
BD

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The BW35 automatic transmission will not fit in the stock transmission tunnel of a manual transmission Series Alpine.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Two other things to consider:
  1. The automatic was only offered on the SIV and while the SIV engine was the same displacement as the S3, it was slightly different from the SI, SII and SV. But, as Dan said, there were no engine differences between the engines in the SIV manual and the SIV automatic.
  2. I may be wrong on this, but am pretty sure the SIV automatic only came with a single carb. So, while not an engine difference per se, it is another thing that differentiated the manual and the automatic cars.
Jim.. The siv only had the compund solex and cast manifold be it ST , GT or auto... The GT had a more restrictive air filter to keep it quieter.. So engine spec is the same manual or auto.

@molly2010 the auto also has a wider trans tunnel and the manual trans mount wont work for the auto tunnel.. You'll have to make your own

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
@molly2010 the auto also has a wider trans tunnel and the manual trans mount wont work for the auto tunnel.. You'll have to make your own

I have a spare tranny mount for the Manual and one for the BW35 Alpines should you need one.

And my V6 Conversion transmission mount brackets will work of several types of transmissions manual or automatic.

As Barry and Michael both stated, the BW35 transmission tunnel is a bit wider that the stock manual Alpine.