• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Looking for a 1725 engine for learning

Bill Tippy

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm looking for an inexpensive/cheap (free is good) 1725 engine that I can take apart and get some experience working on engines.
I took auto shop class in high school many years ago but never got the chance to actually work on engines, other than maintenance and simple repairs.
I certainly don't want to learn (the hard way) working on my own car, just yet.
I'm in Plymouth, Michigan, which is about 1/2 hour west of Detroit. I can take a one or two day trip to pick up.

Along those lines, what's a reasonable price to pay for an engine? I know it depends on condition and how complete it is.
I think I've seen one on eBay for $600, but I'd have to find the listing.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a couple of 1592's, one pretty complete in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.

I would be happy to donate one for your cause but you'll need to pick it up.

Mark ..... volvoguys

Bill Tippy

Platinum Level Sponsor

Mark ..... volvoguys
Thanks, that would be great.
Let me get back to you.
I need to figure out when I can make the trip.

Do you ever watch a chief meteorologist in Harrisburg, Tom Russell? I know him from our broadcasting classes at the University of Dayton.

loose_electron

Donation Time
If you just want to do a teardown and look through does it have to be an Alpine engine? The junkyard probably can offer up many options at the scrap metal price.

Bill Tippy

Platinum Level Sponsor
If you just want to do a teardown and look through does it have to be an Alpine engine? The junkyard probably can offer up many options at the scrap metal price.
My thought was to rebuild a 1725, put it in the Alpine while I work on the original one.
That's what I was thinking. But maybe I need to take baby steps and work on any 4 cylinder to get my hands dirty first.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks, that would be great.
Let me get back to you.
I need to figure out when I can make the trip.

Do you ever watch a chief meteorologist in Harrisburg, Tom Russell? I know him from our broadcasting classes at the University of Dayton.
Tom Russel is a meteorologist in our local CBS station 21 here in Harrisburg. Sure, I've seen him many times but I'm more likely to tune into NBC 8.

I have no stake in giving you an engine other than to maybe help a fellow 'Beamer get his nails dirty so Electron's suggestion to get a engine locally has merit. But, IMO, if yer gonna get familiar with a motor why not work with one from a car you have interest and may use? Alpine engines are very simple and don't need all the bullsh!t modern cars do.

Of course, distance is an issue, too.

Mark ..... volvoguys

loose_electron

Donation Time
My thought was to rebuild a 1725, put it in the Alpine while I work on the original one.
That's what I was thinking. But maybe I need to take baby steps and work on any 4 cylinder to get my hands dirty first.
Not terribly sure what your skill set is. When I was a kid my dad gave me a junk engine and transmission which I took apart bolt by bolt with no worries about it going back together. Something like that is always a good first step for anyone. Thing is, do you want to be on a "learning curve" with an engine that needs to come back together and run, on the first teardown you ever do?

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Highly recommend searching the Tech Data of this forum, reading all you can about the rebuilding of these engines. Many videos are also available of the rebuild. Take photos of every step of dis-assembly. Will help you with assembly. Take note of where the timing gears are set and distributor are set, taking photos of both before dis-assembly. Separate baggies for each set of nuts and bolts. I took on a job of assembling a restored Firebird once, the guy told me all the parts are in the boxes. Yep, they were. what a mess that was.
Engine is pretty simple. It's getting the damn thing back together so that it doesn't leak is the hardest part. I know, British cars and all, Marking their territory, Rust prevention of undercarriage. If it ain't leaking, check your oil level. Good luck with all that. Lots of sealant in my opinion.
Problem with rebuilding an engine just to put it in the car while you build the original engine, it's harder to justify pulling that engine back out if it's running nicely. Ask me how I know. Have a completely built engine sitting in the shed, but the one in the car is doing great. If it ain't broken, blah, blah, blah.
Anyway, have fun, relax and enjoy it.

Bill Tippy

Platinum Level Sponsor

Mark ..... volvoguys

Mark, I want to thank you for your kind offer. I ended up getting a 1725 from Cleveland, about 2.5 hours away.