• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rear Diff Mystery

mxp01

Platinum Level Sponsor
I am having trouble diagnosing a problem. last week pulling into traffic (kind of heavy on the throttle at take off) in 1st gear a noise came from what sounded like the rear end. The noise sounded like gears jumping teeth if that makes any sense. The car felt like the clutch slipped. Once moving no problem, the car went up hills fine under load and changed gears fine. Got to another intersection and made a right turn very slowly in 1st gear and this time the noise again, and engine revs like the clutch is slipping and the car accelerated very slowly. I pulled over and tried to go in reverse, now the car will not move. 1st, 2nd, 3rd nothing. I put the car is 1st and look under at the drive shaft and its spinning. So I catch a ride home to get my truck and trailer to bring the car home.

Now I have the whole rear end assembly removed from the car. Axles look good, cannot see any visible damage to any of the gears or bearings in the diff. No metal shavings in the housing assembly. everything spins freely, spin one wheel forward the other spins backwards, spin the yoke and the wheels spin. I kind of understand how these things work but I am far from a expert at them. I'm stumped on this issue. Could I possibly be over looking something in the diff?

Thanks
Cade

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
If you are running wire wheels it could be the splines!

If you are running 4 bolt wheel/mags, etc I would suggest the axle key has been stripped....

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am having trouble diagnosing a problem. last week pulling into traffic (kind of heavy on the throttle at take off) in 1st gear a noise came from what sounded like the rear end. The noise sounded like gears jumping teeth if that makes any sense. The car felt like the clutch slipped. Once moving no problem, the car went up hills fine under load and changed gears fine. Got to another intersection and made a right turn very slowly in 1st gear and this time the noise again, and engine revs like the clutch is slipping and the car accelerated very slowly. I pulled over and tried to go in reverse, now the car will not move. 1st, 2nd, 3rd nothing. I put the car is 1st and look under at the drive shaft and its spinning. So I catch a ride home to get my truck and trailer to bring the car home.

Now I have the whole rear end assembly removed from the car. Axles look good, cannot see any visible damage to any of the gears or bearings in the diff. No metal shavings in the housing assembly. everything spins freely, spin one wheel forward the other spins backwards, spin the yoke and the wheels spin. I kind of understand how these things work but I am far from a expert at them. I'm stumped on this issue. Could I possibly be over looking something in the diff?

Thanks
Cade
Do you have wire wheels? If so it is stripped splines. Check RR in particular power is on RR!

mxp01

Platinum Level Sponsor
I think you all are correct. I can hold one axle and spin the hub. Do I need any special tools to pull the hub from the axle?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
A wheel/hub puller that you can fasten the 4 lug bolts and used for the puller

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Do I need any special tools to pull the hub from the axle?
Huh? Didn't you say the rear axle gears LOOK fine? That tells me somehow you disassembled it without pulling the hubs off FIRST.
One should always pull the hubs off first with a proper puller...it's so much easier
Jan

mxp01

Platinum Level Sponsor
Huh? Didn't you say the rear axle gears LOOK fine? That tells me somehow you disassembled it without pulling the hubs off FIRST.
One should always pull the hubs off first with a proper puller...it's so much easier
Jan
I took the 5 nuts and bolts off the flange and slid the axle out. see attached photo.

I guess I made more work for myself.

Attachments

• F5604FB6-6F76-48BA-87E3-46C2021A5525.jpeg
    F5604FB6-6F76-48BA-87E3-46C2021A5525.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 44

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
The yellow marking are for depiction of the axle key that is suspect in your case.

Alpine rear axles showing the wheel keys          _LI.jpg Alpine rear axles showing the wheel keys          _LI.jpg

mxp01

Platinum Level Sponsor
Alright I’ll pull the hubs tomorrow and see what I find. Thank you all for the input.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Cade, Remove the axle nut, then the washer!

Replace the nut, just make sure that you leave some space between the nut and the hub.

DO NOT LEAVE THE AXLE NUT OFF !!

The hub will actually have a tremendous force when it is finally broken loose from the axle.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
The spider pinion shaft transfers the differential torque to the axles. If the spider gears/pinions or the pinion shaft breaks then there will be no power sent to the axles. If its not sheared keyes from above, its probably gonna be the spiders or the spider shaft.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I took the 5 nuts and bolts off the flange and slid the axle out
Yep, I understand what you did, the problem is how to secure the removed axle shaft, while you bang on the puller dog with a 4lb hammer?
If you left the whole rear axle assembly in the car first, the car will support everything and you can go at the hammering way more easily.
The workshop manual is there to help.
Jan

mxp01

Platinum Level Sponsor
Here is what I found.

Attachments

• 40E57324-E890-4D35-A5AE-BB87C095C5D4.jpeg
    40E57324-E890-4D35-A5AE-BB87C095C5D4.jpeg
    340.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 84B4DCAB-8110-42BC-BFEB-6C3F624D59CA.jpeg
    84B4DCAB-8110-42BC-BFEB-6C3F624D59CA.jpeg
    253.3 KB · Views: 60

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Can you post a close up of the splined end of your axle shaft ? Perhaps I'm wrong but on the first photo it looks as if some splines are gone...

mxp01

Platinum Level Sponsor
Can you post a close up of the splined end of your axle shaft ? Perhaps I'm wrong but on the first photo it looks as if some splines are gone...

Attachments

• 07753720-50B4-42F4-995D-149209CB339A.jpeg
    07753720-50B4-42F4-995D-149209CB339A.jpeg
    244.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 075C1EEE-37B0-400A-9A1D-86989243AA91.jpeg
    075C1EEE-37B0-400A-9A1D-86989243AA91.jpeg
    262.1 KB · Views: 37

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks. Splined end looks a bit worn but still ok. Stripped axle key was the culprit...

Last edited: