• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SI-SII Hardtop Gasket

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
On the early series hardtops there is a gasket or seal that is affixed to the bracket on the hardtop that bolts to the body fitting...see attached photo...Item 210. That piece is not available anywhere. Can someone tell me the approximate thickness?...I assume it is rubber and not a problem to make a new one.

Attachments

• Sunbeam Hardtop Gasket.jpeg
    Sunbeam Hardtop Gasket.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 32

alpine_64

Donation Time
Funny.. I was actaully posting about this part a few months back as i lost one off my hardtop.

It is rubber and the thickness "under" the lower part of the gasket is approx 6mm.. Im not sure of they were flat or modled...

But the bracket has a recess and mine had an area of rubner that slotted into that triangular shape. It may have been from compression over time or molded.. Hard to know.

I think if you are using a mid stiffness rubber it will be fine and compress enough to seal and also stop overtightening the brackets.

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks for that...I suspected that, as you say, the rubber fits under the slot...I’m thinking that for a DIYer, the easiest avenue is to probably just trim a piece of sheet rubber to fit in the recessed area and glue it in...use a soft enough rubber and make it just thick enough to provide a little compressibility.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
They are easy to make from a plain rubber sheet as Michael stated. The hole to be cutted with a proper punch. They need to be glued into the triangular bracket otherwise they'll rotate with the fixing screw. They are absolutely mandatory to achieve a rattle free Hardtop...

alpine_64

Donation Time
Thanks for that...I suspected that, as you say, the rubber fits under the slot...I’m thinking that for a DIYer, the easiest avenue is to probably just trim a piece of sheet rubber to fit in the recessed area and glue it in...use a soft enough rubber and make it just thick enough to provide a little compressibility.

Bill,

Just to clarify, yes the rubber goes into the triangular recess in the bracket, but it also must go under the actual edge ( hemce maybe originally they were modled with a step to go into the recess to stop them rotating.

So make sure your pattern uses the perimiter of the bracket, the rubber needs to stop the bracket seating on the B-post