• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SS headers vs exhaust manifold on stock 1725cc

fireroad

Donation Time
File this under "since I have it already apart I might as well..."

I am currently in the process of swapping out carbs and manifold so I figured this would be as good a time as any to pull the stock exhaust manifold and downpipes and have them ceramic coated. Previous owner had the exhaust from the "Y" back replaced with stainless pipe and muffler of unknown manufacturer (I suspect Flowmaster). My down pipes and Y are corroded enough that I was just going to order new ones from Sunbeam Specialties when I noticed Rick sells stainless headers for that fit an SV.

So my question is: for folks that went with the SS headers on a stock motor do they feel it was worth it? Did you gain a little more low end or high end grunt? My motor runs strong now (high octane fuel), but it will be ready for a "refresh" in a few years at which time I'll likely go with the cam and Vizard mods and .030 over.

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Seat of pants measure for me, with change over to headers on my S1, was an ncrease in get up and go; or may be it was the lovely raspy exhaust note.

fireroad

Donation Time
Well dang it, just got off the phone with Rick and he is out of the headers and likely won't have them back in stock before the end of the year due to the pandemic.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Seat of pants measure for me, with change over to headers on my S1, was an ncrease in get up and go; or may be it was the lovely raspy exhaust note.
Probably the later...but hey its about the fun you have when driving.. If it added to the pleasure...money well spent.

alpine_64

Donation Time
File this under "since I have it already apart I might as well..."

I am currently in the process of swapping out carbs and manifold so I figured this would be as good a time as any to pull the stock exhaust manifold and downpipes and have them ceramic coated. Previous owner had the exhaust from the "Y" back replaced with stainless pipe and muffler of unknown manufacturer (I suspect Flowmaster). My down pipes and Y are corroded enough that I was just going to order new ones from Sunbeam Specialties when I noticed Rick sells stainless headers for that fit an SV.

So my question is: for folks that went with the SS headers on a stock motor do they feel it was worth it? Did you gain a little more low end or high end grunt? My motor runs strong now (high octane fuel), but it will be ready for a "refresh" in a few years at which time I'll likely go with the cam and Vizard mods and .030 over.
Are you running the cast header as opposed to the early style 4 branch?

The cast apparently flowed as well as the seperate headers. The 4 branch while a nice 4-2-1 werent equal length so were not the gain they could have been.

Rick stocks the falcon headers from UK iirc which are based on the factory comp header.. Agian not equal length but slightly better than stock.

Would i fit them.... Yes... They sound better and look better than the cast and they won't rust... Smiles per mile value is there... Performance .. Maybe a very little...longevity.. Again a win.

gary1725

Donation Time
I used Rick's headers but the engine was rebuilt at the same time so no idea if they themselves made any specific difference. Just don't make the mistake of picking up early headers thinking they will fit - they will not clear the Alternator...

also if you are going to refresh and including the Vizard mod there are other things you can do while you are at it... folks here were a great help when I refreshed my engine and made head changes.