• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine Door Hinge Screws

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Rick, They are longer than necessary to secure the doors. The additional length allows the ends that protrude beyond the plate to rust and then they are very difficult to remove.

I'd say 5/8" of threads with total length of 3/4" is more than enough to adequately secure the doors.

I just went out to the garage and found one..... will send you some PIC's via my phone

Last edited:

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
Rick, They are longer than necessary to secure the doors. The additional length allows the ends that protrude beyond the plate to rust and then they are very difficult to remove.

I'd say 5/8" of threads with total length of 3/4" is more than enough to adequately secure the doors.

I just went out to the garage and found one..... will send you some PIC's via my phone

Thanks, Dan

Rick

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Sometimes people replace the hinge screws with ones that have an Allan Key style socket at the head. I would advise against using these as they seem to quickly go from having a nice sharp hexagonal hole in to having a round hole and then they are extremely difficult to get out!

Tim R

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here are the PIC's of the Door/Hinge screws.

1st PIC shows the screw and a guage I use to identify for thread and size purposes.

The head is round with angled shoulders and the threads are 5/8" in length. It has what I refer to as a Phillips head.

2nd PIC I placed the screw head in the "slot" of the guage to show the taper.

3rd PIC depicts the screw in the 5/16" hole. The threads are 24tpi fine as Gary T stated.

Attachments

• 20200820_224246_resized[1].jpg
    20200820_224246_resized[1].jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20200820_224158_resized[1].jpg
    20200820_224158_resized[1].jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20200820_224320_resized[1].jpg
    20200820_224320_resized[1].jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 27

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
Here are the PIC's of the Door/Hinge screws.

1st PIC shows the screw and a guage I use to identify for thread and size purposes.

The head is round with angled shoulders and the threads are 5/8" in length. It has what I refer to as a Phillips head.

2nd PIC I placed the screw head in the "slot" of the guage to show the taper.

3rd PIC depicts the screw in the 5/16" hole. The threads are 24tpi fine as Gary T stated.

Thanks Dan. Much appreciated.
Rick

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Interesting comment, with useful info about rusting. But I think the extra length is to help install the screws. It's difficult to get the hinge plate lined up and flat enough against the surface to get the screw in. Maybe use a long screw for just the first one in each hinge plate and then replace it with the shorter length after the other screws are in

Tom

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
One thing that helps greatly with screw removal is the "Screw Buster" from Eastwood. Attaches to an air hammer, and cost is only 20 bucks. Makes removal of even rusted screws possible. Wish I'd known about it sooner. David

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Interesting comment, with useful info about rusting.

Tom, I found the same thing with the extra length on the bolts that are used on the control arms where they are secured to the crossmember. The additional length (the portion of the bolt) of threads was rusted badly when I was disassembling a crossmember for restoration. Stripped several of the bolts and broke a couple requiring some drilling, tapping and rethreading.

I realize they had been in place for about 50 years, serving there purpose well, but I utilized new harden bolts as replacements that were of a shorter length where only a few threads extended for rust to gather during the next 50 years:)

62SNBMR

Gold Level Sponsor
Has anyone ever had the nut that this screw goes into fall out? On my passenger side door, the right side bottom nut fell out. Trying to figure how in the wide, wide world of sports I get this nut back in. There is only a very small opening.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan, It's been a while since I messed with the door hinges. But what do the mounting screws thread into on the body? Is it a thick plate with threaded holes on the back side? Or is it nuts welded onto the back side ?

Tom

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
It is a thick plate with threaded holes. The plate is secured by slots/bent tabs to retain the plate but allows it to move slightly for alignment.

Wayne67vert

Donation Time
One thing that helps greatly with screw removal is the "Screw Buster" from Eastwood. Attaches to an air hammer, and cost is only 20 bucks. Makes removal of even rusted screws possible. Wish I'd known about it sooner. David
10 years ago I made a pair of these from old screw drivers. One phillips and one flat blade. I should have got a patent. LOL

62SNBMR

Gold Level Sponsor
I've attached a picture looking through the speaker opening on my Series II passenger side. You can see what appears to be a channel containing the two nuts for the left side of the hinge (as you look at the hinge with the door open). The other channel/two nuts are behind the fender well. There is a very small opening (where the nut fell out). I don't see any way to get it back in.

Attachments

• 20200802_130603.jpg
    20200802_130603.jpg
    393.4 KB · Views: 43