• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SV Seats

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Since my SV has decided to pee oil all over my garage (I can forgive the incontinence given its age...), I might sort a few things out while I am finding excuses to not address the oil problem.

What seats work well in the car? I want high back but they cannot be big. I do the big part and find the thin factory seats just okay leg room wise. Giving up much more would be uncomfortable. I know Miata seats fit everything but are there any TR or MG, etc. that also work? I am not into big dollar stuff and massive fabrication. Just want a nice seat with a high back.
Thanks for any help. (Anyone dying to replace a tranny seal, I will supply the beer and advice.)

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
While I have no experience with them in an Alpine, I've seen MGB seats on Alpines.
The only thing is they're not real cheap.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
Dodge Neon seats will work with a bit of fitment fun. I used them in an Alpine that was sold, I will say they were kind of tall with the headrests. Definitely cheap though.

pruyter

Donation Time
My brother installed seats from a Triumph TR6 in his Alpine series IV and it was very easy to fit them! They are quite comfortable too I can asure you

Regards,

Peter

alpine_64

Donation Time
I would say this about high back seats in a sunbeam. ( my own opinion.. So fwiw)

1. Seats that sit up above the body line detract from the look of the car and unless they fold forward at a steep rake won't go under a tonneau.

2. If you are installing for safety you really need seats that are high enough that the headrest is at the height of your head.. Not base of your neck as so often the mid rise seats are... So if not full height the safety benefit is greatly diminished.

So if going for high back make sure they are high enough to support the back of your head.. Amd if possible have a removable head rest and fold forward enough to go under a tonneau.

Just my .02

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I agree with the statement about the height of seat backs, that is the main reason we ditched the stock seats. One of the first thoughts that went through my mind after my recent accident - I'm sure glad I installed these seats. A possible solution to the high back seats protruding into the tonneau: Pockets sewn into the tonneau. Our Miata seat backs would not flop forward very far. While I do not care how seat backs look, it did bother me they severely limited access to the rear seat, so I modified the stop. The drivers side now will almost touch the steering wheel.

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
I agree with the statement about the height of seat backs, that is the main reason we ditched the stock seats. One of the first thoughts that went through my mind after my recent accident - I'm sure glad I installed these seats. A possible solution to the high back seats protruding into the tonneau: Pockets sewn into the tonneau. Our Miata seat backs would not flop forward very far. While I do not care how seat backs look, it did bother me they severely limited access to the rear seat, so I modified the stop. The drivers side now will almost touch the steering wheel.

Bill
The high back seats in the 69 are decent except some owners need more lumbar support.

alpine_64

Donation Time
A possible solution to the high back seats protruding into the tonneau: Pockets sewn into the tonneau.
Bill
Yes you can make the pockets like they do for steering wheels...but the height of the seat that would sit above the cover makes sliding a fitted cover over and off them a real PITA .. Especially if it it were a nicely padded and thick seat.

My race car has a fitted tonneau and while the seat is essentially a shell fitting the cover on amd off is a ....

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I don't have a tonneau although I would like one. My seats mechanisms are wearing out again, fixed them once. Beyond that the low back, launching pad front pivot system and such do dictate something more modern. Given the field test Bill put his through convinced me. As to spoiling the line, no question but then I probably do to when driving it... Thanks! (Bill, can you send me or post a photo or two of you seat installation? Thx)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Tracy, not sure exactly what your looking for in the way of pictures. Be advised the DuraPine is stripped down, the seats are setting on the basement floor. I'll see what pics I have.

Bill

Slainte

Donation Time
Bill, I have a vague recollection that, before your Miata seats, you built some modified stock seats with headrests. I've been tempted to go that route, and I wonder if that might be an option for Tracy.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
They might be. They offer a valid headrest. I am unable to find any photos of the Miata seats, but I found a couple of killer shots of the modded stockers if anyone is interested.
Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, '92 Chevy. The last photo gives you an idea of how it fits a driver. I am 5'6" (short legged) and the head rest is all the way down.
Bill

Attachments

• img_0363.jpg
    img_0363.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 48
  • img_0377.jpg
    img_0377.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 48
  • img_0378.jpg
    img_0378.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 50
  • img_0381.jpg