• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Electric Fuel Pump shut off switch mounting

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have a crash/roll over switch that I need to mount since I changed to an electric fuel pump. The box says mount where you can get to it but not somewhere that it bounces around. Am trying to find that spot inside the car but not seeing a good place and don't really like the idea. The Firewall looks good to me but does anyone have a better spot?

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
From what I see on my vehicles, most are mounted in the trunk or behind a kick panel. You only need access to it to reset it. If your flipped over, chances are you’re not going to be resetting it.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, there is that... The instructions were mainly aimed at driving and jouncing tripped it. Appreciate your help!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Install a Ford inertia switch. I've never heard of them having a false activation problem. I mounted mine in the trunk, it did not trip in over 100,000 miles, not even on Colorado highways. I've driven on roads so rough my vision got wonky, the car danced over into the on-comming lane and the dash clock broke. It finally did it's thing this summer when I was rear ended.

If you want to keep the switch in the cabin, consider the left foot panel, near the dimmer switch.
Bill

loose_electron

Donation Time
Install a Ford inertia switch. I've never heard of them having a false activation problem. I mounted mine in the trunk, it did not trip in over 100,000 miles, not even on Colorado highways. I've driven on roads so rough my vision got wonky, the car danced over into the on-comming lane and the dash clock broke. It finally did it's thing this summer when I was rear ended.

If you want to keep the switch in the cabin, consider the left foot panel, near the dimmer switch.
Bill
Seen any writeup on this? Or a specific part? Right now I don't have anything on this, and if there's a reliable device it might b worth the price to install it.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nope, no write up. My experience is worth a lot more than a "write up". What are you looking for? The Ford trunk mounted switch, they all seem to be the same throughout the 80's and 90's (maybe longer), is simply a part that works. When have you heard a Mustang owner complaining about a failed inertia switch? The price to install one is pretty nominal. A common junkyard part that never wears out and is dirt cheap. Mine came out of an early 90's Tempo.

Bill

Charles Johns

Donation Time
The emergency shut-off as I understand, was basically for the much higher pressures for fuel injection electric pumps. Going from 4 to 6 pounds pressure to 50 plus pounds is a serious difference. I am considering a fuel shut-off for my carb version anyway, but I will have a shut-off in the cab as an anti-theft device like most cars I have built. After seeing Bill's crunched Alpine the idea of adding a remote shut-off became a better idea.

loose_electron

Donation Time
Nope, no write up. My experience is worth a lot more than a "write up". What are you looking for? The Ford trunk mounted switch, they all seem to be the same throughout the 80's and 90's (maybe longer), is simply a part that works. When have you heard a Mustang owner complaining about a failed inertia switch? The price to install one is pretty nominal. A common junkyard part that never wears out and is dirt cheap. Mine came out of an early 90's Tempo.

Bill
OK, just ordered a used one on EBay for $18.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
In my recollection, the action of this switch is different from the explanation I saw 10+ years ago. The old one did not have a magnet, the ball was contained in a cone shaped compartment. Pushing the button moved the ball back into the compartment. There is no way that smacking an older switches will activate it. They also require a healthy push on the button to reset.
Bill