• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

What size were the original Tiger tires?

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
What size were factory issue tires on the 1966 Tiger Mark 1A? My original wheels are 13 X 4 1/2" so I'm just trying to find out what size the factory issue tires were back in the day. Thanks for any help.

Rick

alpine_64

Donation Time
Rick,

You want the original size or current modern tyre in closest size to original?

Tigers used the same tyres as the SIV/ V alpines with the optional dunlop RS5 as a value add.

Dunlop nylons were 6.00x13 ( rolling radius 23.28)
The dunlop RS5 tubeless was a 5.9x13 ( rolling radius 23.14)

The current best option is a 165/80/13

65beam

Donation Time
FYI,
There's a chain of tire stores called Tire Discounters that stretch from Alabama up thru the mid west. They're based out of Cincinnati and at last count I think you'll find they have available something like 15 different 13 in tires available. Maybe three sizes and various brands.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Having driven on 5.60 bias belted tires and having searched out couple of sets it is not easy to find a non economy tire Arnie sold a stock red Tiger on BaT those looked the part. I recall a restorer driving his Tiger on stock wheels and it looked like they were going to come apart. They still discourage the use of them. Be careful as many are sub standard trailer tires. If money is not a consideration a MK2 buddy got some nice red line tires.

65beam

Donation Time
Having driven on 5.60 bias belted tires and having searched out couple of sets it is not easy to find a non economy tire Arnie sold a stock red Tiger on BaT those looked the part. I recall a restorer driving his Tiger on stock wheels and it looked like they were going to come apart. They still discourage the use of them. Be careful as many are sub standard trailer tires. If money is not a consideration a MK2 buddy got some nice red line tires.
Tire discounters lists trailer tires in a separate section.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I just received 4ea "Milestar", P175/80 R13, whitewalls from Walmart, of all places. I ordered on-line.
They fit really good and look nice. About $54 each I think.
Jan

alpine_64

Donation Time
Maxxis also offer a 1.25" whitewall in the 165/80/13 that performs reasonably well. Quite a few sunbeam and Sprite/spitfire etc owners he use them.

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
Rick,

You want the original size or current modern tyre in closest size to original?

Tigers used the same tyres as the SIV/ V alpines with the optional dunlop RS5 as a value add.

Dunlop nylons were 6.00x13 ( rolling radius 23.28)
The dunlop RS5 tubeless was a 5.9x13 ( rolling radius 23.14)

The current best option is a 165/80/13

Thanks for the good information Michael.

Rick
I just received 4ea "Milestar", P175/80 R13, whitewalls from Walmart, of all places. I ordered on-line.
They fit really good and look nice. About $54 each I think.
Jan

Hi Jan:

I actually run those same MILESTAR P175/80/R13's on my Series II Alpine. Being new to Tiger ownership, I wasn't sure if there was a difference in original Alpine and Tiger tires.

Rick

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor

Thanks, Warren.

Rick

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
FYI,
There's a chain of tire stores called Tire Discounters that stretch from Alabama up thru the mid west. They're based out of Cincinnati and at last count I think you'll find they have available something like 15 different 13 in tires available. Maybe three sizes and various brands.

Thanks for the lead.

Rick

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Tyreseasy.com
The UK arm on another online tire retailer has many other 13"s for LBC's
Let's add about 475 lb to an Alpine and go beat it around.
What's the joke in the Tiger world about how do you make a Tiger stop ?
You turn the wheels....
Taking a tiger into a turn throwing it into it and sliding the front end is completely different then a car without Ackerman angle.
Sorry if you may think this goes off topic but I tell you, I can't imagine how bad the car would handle with banana skins for tires. I've had 13s with big side walls 14's with big sidewalls
and 195 55 15's and 205 55 15's in the rear. Clearly the most comfortable are the 13s with some sidewalls and at least a five and a half inch wheel..
Otherwise it always is a good idea to carry two shirts in the car especially if you're drinking coffee and hit a pothole.