• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Tiger and Alpine misc.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yes I have two of them since you're close it'd be much easier to make an informed decision rather than depending upon a picture. We've dealt before in my driveway.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks Jim. Wasn't too bad except working in the sun in the driveway in 90 degree heat to make sure it stretched out and fit nice and tight.

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
Yes I have two of them since you're close it'd be much easier to make an informed decision rather than depending upon a picture. We've dealt before in my driveway.
Yep sending you a message

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Dude you're barking up the wrong tree although there's several Tiger guys on this forum the only place you're really going to find one is by a junked car, Or someone who is put in a Ford 9-in with a locker and four-link suspension. They don't come up often but they're easily 1500 bucks or more. Now if you want to know what other cars had the same thing that rear end on it I can't remember all of the Jeep rear ends and other cars that had Dana 44s.
But then you probably have to play mix and match with the axels etc.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
do you Know the drum to drum measurements ? probably going to Make one. cannot afford to spend that on a cobbled together car.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
do you Know the drum to drum measurements ? probably going to Make one. cannot afford to spend that on a cobbled together car.

Alpine and Tiger rear axles are about 50-3/4" flange-to-flange (NOT including brake drums).

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
"flange to flange", is that the flat part of the "axle" that the lugs go through ? OR backing plate to backing plate ? I'd like to just find something that I can put a posi unit in, weld leaf spring "perches" to, and be done. :) Thanks

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
"flange to flange", is that the flat part of the "axle" that the lugs go through ? OR backing plate to backing plate ? I'd like to just find something that I can put a posi unit in, weld leaf spring "perches" to, and be done. :) Thanks

Yes, the flanges are the parts of the axles that the lugs go through and, more importantly, are where the wheels attach to the axle.

I am not aware of any rear axle assembly that is readily available and inexpensive and fits a Series Alpine and accepts a readily available "posi unit" and has a 4x4.25" lug pattern.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I know where there are several old Postal Jeeps are located that have rear axle assemblies. They have a plate on the rear to access the ring & pinion.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
They are stronger than the Tiger axles. One piece flanged axle with 30 splines. Usually 3.07 or 3.73. Usually Trac-Lok posi. They can be changed to 3.31 and 3.54 also. MG guys drill to the 4 lug pattern. Center of axle flange needs turned down also.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
They are stronger than the Tiger axles. One piece flanged axle with 30 splines. Usually 3.07 or 3.73. Usually Trac-Lok posi. They can be changed to 3.31 and 3.54 also. MG guys drill to the 4 lug pattern. Center of axle flange needs turned down also.

WHERE CAN i GET ONE ??