• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Re-evaluation Time

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yesterday as I was preparing to turn into ) O'Riley's to pick up the oil filter, I got hit pretty hard in the right rear quarter. Was driving the DuraPine, which now has the right rear fender driven into the tire, the tailight vaporized, trunk lid and right door jammed shut. What the hell do I do now.

I doubt that any shop in the area will touch it. The car was towed to a local body shop, the co-owner wants to pull the fender out enough that I can drive the car. His rack guy looked at it and said there is nothing underneath to grab in order to pull. They will put it on the rack tomorrow and give it another, better look. The Alpine is just too rare and too different. I figure I've got three options:
1. Junk it and forget it.
2. Buy a nice body and swap drivetrains
3. Sell it as a Duratech installation kit.

Currently, options 1 and 3 are especially appealing as I have no energy to speak of and I seem to be emotionally and mentally incapable of dealing with problems.

Anybody need a crumpled DuraPine Kit?

Bill

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
So sorry to hear this Bill! Glad you are OK-that is the most important thing. You forgot option 4-let Doug Jennings fix it better than new and let the insurance company make it whole again.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Glad you're OK Bill ! It could have been worse, and I agree with Eric, check into the insurance!
Cheers!
Steve

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Bill, Is there a hot rod or street rod shop in your area? Those guys can do magic. Maybe cut and splice the damage out with another quarter panel? Glad you are OK!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I do not know of any hot rod shops in this area. No collision insurance. We built this car to drive, 114,000 miles in a little over twelve years, which is not compatible with collectors collision insurance. The only insurance money will be replacement value payed by the other drivers insurance. I fully expect to get screwed.

Bill

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
They should be able to clamp onto the seam on the rocker panel, then chain the front and pull it back quite a bit. Then replace the quarter if needed. A good old school frame guy can work wonders with a rust free car. Have patience and try to find a good body man.
Jeff

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
They should be able to clamp onto the seam on the rocker panel, then chain the front and pull it back quite a bit. Then replace the quarter if needed. A good old school frame guy can work wonders with a rust free car. Have patience and try to find a good body man.
Jeff
No underbody pictures. We have pictures of the exterior damage but I am not capable of posting them. Dan, would you do that? Or I can probably send them to you. 90% of the damage is behind the rear wheel. They want to grab at the rear of the car in order to pull the fender out of the tire and generally unbind everything.

Bill

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I am so sorry to hear this, Bill, but as others have said, very glad to know that you are ok. Maybe the Durapine was jealous of the new fastback?

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Great, now I wont even be able to drive my alger if and when I get it finished. It will just sit in the garage like Cameron's dad's ferrari in Ferris Bueller. Nah, just kidding.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yesterday as I was preparing to turn into ) O'Riley's to pick up the oil filter, I got hit pretty hard in the right rear quarter. Was driving the DuraPine, which now has the right rear fender driven into the tire, the tailight vaporized, trunk lid and right door jammed shut. What the hell do I do now.

I doubt that any shop in the area will touch it. The car was towed to a local body shop, the co-owner wants to pull the fender out enough that I can drive the car. His rack guy looked at it and said there is nothing underneath to grab in order to pull. They will put it on the rack tomorrow and give it another, better look. The Alpine is just too rare and too different. I figure I've got three options:
1. Junk it and forget it.
2. Buy a nice body and swap drivetrains
3. Sell it as a Duratech installation kit.

Currently, options 1 and 3 are especially appealing as I have no energy to speak of and I seem to be emotionally and mentally incapable of dealing with problems.

Anybody need a crumpled DuraPine Kit?

Bill
Bill sorry about your car and glad you are ok. When the adjuster shows up tell him ok find one in the same condition and equipment. The adjuster is not your friend. Talk to Doug jennnimgs

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Glad to hear you weren’t seriously injured. Sorry about your car. Hopefully things will work out for you.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
There are serve problems with me fixing the car. First of all, I cannot fix it. A rack will be required, I don't have one. Welding will be involved, my welding, while never very good, is now terrible. Same for my sheet metal capabilities. I can still Bondo and sand, that's about the extent of my body work abilities. Second (and just as important), my physical condition is very bad. Ten minutes of work requiring moderate effort leads to at least an hour to recuperate. My best chance would be to harvest the Duratec related stuff and install it in a good shell. I'm not positive I could pull that off.

On a positive note, the other driver's insurance company has been in touch with me. They have decided to accept the liability and will decide if they will fix the Alpine or pay me. We all know how that will end. But things are moving.

Bill

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Wow. I’m awfully glad you’re ok.... and also that the fuel tank didn’t rupture. As bad as it looks, though, I really do think that’s repairable - I’ve fixed much worse when I ran my shop.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Those are awful pictures, Bill. It makes me want to cry and it isn't my car. Good luck with everything that happens from here.