• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Facts I didn't need

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I could talk about the state where I live (NY) but we all know that story. Fortunately, I am out in the sticks and things aren't as bad here. But, we're all still hunkered down and staying safe the best we can.

65beam

Donation Time
We are not so lucky. Our county, population 24,000 has 34 cases and 4 deaths. All but one of the surrounding counties have higher numbers. Some are in the hundreds of cases.

Bill
We have about the same population and an area of 444 square miles. The first two cases were from the Cleveland area and work at the uranium enrichment plant that is being demolished. Cases in surrounding counties are folks that work in Cincinnati and Columbus.

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
Can't help it...gotta jump in.

My wife and I both tested positive at the beginning of April. I got sick in early March. Had headache, ear ache, very mean sore throat, body aches and no energy at all. Fever for one day only. Called the hospital to query about testing. They asked about cough and shortness of breath. I had neither symptom so was dismissed and they told me to call back if I got worse. Comforting. Just before that, my bosses husband passed away at 56 y/o of Covid. Thus came a requirement that my wife get tested before she could go back to work in the court house...(at our expense). A doc made a house call and I jumped in on the fun. We both tested positive. She was surprised as she had no symptoms. No surprise for me.

She was immediately treated as a leper and couldn't go to work for over six weeks, I get caution. What about all the others who are not symptomatic or honest about them?

Helmets. Interesting conversation. I think helmet laws are parallel to seat belt laws, and child seat laws, most of us don't complain about them, or stopped complaining long ago. Protection in spite of ourselves? Or govmt overreach? It's about Individual perspective. I resist helmet laws ( and similar laws)because I resist being told what to do ( yeah, from a guy who spent 38 years in the military). However, I willingly wear a helmet while snow skiiing. As a former ski patroller, I know that trees are stronger than skull. I don't want my wife wiping peas off my chin before it happens naturally from aging. The govt doesn't need to tell me to wear it, if they did...resist. The current conflict is whether or not to answer the phone while driving..... hmmm.

My answer used to be, "if you don't like something...learn about the issues first and VOTE" But I'm not sure that matters much anymore. But The absentee ballots were completed today anyway. Wow., that got long winded...

65beam

Donation Time
Can't help it...gotta jump in.

My wife and I both tested positive at the beginning of April. I got sick in early March. Had headache, ear ache, very mean sore throat, body aches and no energy at all. Fever for one day only. Called the hospital to query about testing. They asked about cough and shortness of breath. I had neither symptom so was dismissed and they told me to call back if I got worse. Comforting. Just before that, my bosses husband passed away at 56 y/o of Covid. Thus came a requirement that my wife get tested before she could go back to work in the court house...(at our expense). A doc made a house call and I jumped in on the fun. We both tested positive. She was surprised as she had no symptoms. No surprise for me.

She was immediately treated as a leper and couldn't go to work for over six weeks, I get caution. What about all the others who are not symptomatic or honest about them?

Helmets. Interesting conversation. I think helmet laws are parallel to seat belt laws, and child seat laws, most of us don't complain about them, or stopped complaining long ago. Protection in spite of ourselves? Or govmt overreach? It's about Individual perspective. I resist helmet laws ( and similar laws)because I resist being told what to do ( yeah, from a guy who spent 38 years in the military). However, I willingly wear a helmet while snow skiiing. As a former ski patroller, I know that trees are stronger than skull. I don't want my wife wiping peas off my chin before it happens naturally from aging. The govt doesn't need to tell me to wear it, if they did...resist. The current conflict is whether or not to answer the phone while driving..... hmmm.

My answer used to be, "if you don't like something...learn about the issues first and VOTE" But I'm not sure that matters much anymore. But The absentee ballots were completed today anyway. Wow., that got long winded...
Several Doctors here have said that back in December and January they were treating what appeared to be the flu but patients tested negative for influenza A & B. Could have been the 19. There are several of the Corona virus and testing is done to see if you have one of the others and the guide lines specify certain symptoms before you are tested for the Covid 19. The wife tested positive for OC43 so it was determined that she didn't have the 19. It's come out now that the reason for a few more positives is because the new cases are direct family members of the original couple cases.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I will say one more time, masks are not for personal protection. They provide no protection for the wearer, but some protection to others from the carrier. That makes it a public health issue like food handler cleanliness, entirely different from helmet laws which address personal protection.

Bill