• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Facts I didn't need

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Barb just read some Indiana Covid 19 data to me. She has been saying the flu was especially bad for people in the 50-60 age group. And it is true they are the largest group of patients. Much larger than older victims

While the chance of the 70+ crowd getting the disease is less than the 50-60 group, mortality isn't. Among people who have the disease, the rate of death for the 50-60 y.o. is 5%. For the 70 something crowd it is 25% and it goes up to over 50% for an 80 y.o. Underlying health issues, especially diabetes, push the numbers higher. At 77 with diabetes, I need to get busy digging a cave.

"Digger" Bill

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Linda and I have also read some of those "Facts"... at 81 1/2 my backhoe may come in handy:)

65beam

Donation Time
Barb just read some Indiana Covid 19 data to me. She has been saying the flu was especially bad for people in the 50-60 age group. And it is true they are the largest group of patients. Much larger than older victims

While the chance of the 70+ crowd getting the disease is less than the 50-60 group, mortality isn't. Among people who have the disease, the rate of death for the 50-60 y.o. is 5%. For the 70 something crowd it is 25% and it goes up to over 50% for an 80 y.o. Underlying health issues, especially diabetes, push the numbers higher. At 77 with diabetes, I need to get busy digging a cave.

"Digger" Bill
Bill,
When Jean was at the E.R. prior to admittance to the hospital we found the CDC guidelines for testing for Covid 19 are far more stringent than what the news media tells. There are guidelines such as body temp, breathing, heart, etc. They test for Influenza A & B and other conditions first. You just don't walk in and say "test me". The local hospital where she was and has worked at for several decades has the capabilities to do the fast test. There is a large family of the Corona Virus and she tested positive for the OC 43 version. It's a Beta virus that causes the common cold and possibly pneumonia. Another thing never mentioned is details of the cases in an area. Our county shows a total of four cases. Two of those cases are in one of the state prisons. An adjoining county has six cases with all but one in prison. Regardless of being in prison the infection is charged to the county where they previously lived. As far as the cave goes, Barb says you have a cave in the basement. In fact your name came up when another old guy down south called yesterday. Hope you and Barb are OK.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
We are fine. The problem is staying that way, especially when every moron (90% of the population) in the area can't wait to party down, get infected, refuse to wear masks and flood all the stores with their infected presence.

Speaking of tests, our oldest son, who lives way north of Chicago, met a nurse that works in one of the largest hospitals in the area, said they are allotted 19 quick Covid 19 tests a day. That leaves them to decide the most effective use of a very rare commodity. How do you win that game?

Bill

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Glad your all okay .... Most of all the folks I know want to get back to work to save there business's and feed their families which is 90% of them ... and in all age groups. The "virus" might prove to be less harmful then the draconian measures being taken in this country and the long lasting affects of them on our economy and collective liberty's. ... Things will NEVER go back to pre-virus status .... ever! ... don't kid yourselves.

...... David

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor

"Digger" Bill
Bill, I am 71 with type 2, I have had a heart valve repair 3 years ago, and some lung damage copd. Patty is immmune compromised Lyme disease, and age problems.
Next door is the youngest step son and his two young children. He is a diabetic.
We are bunkered in. We did not get much snow this year so we have a well stocked freezer and shelf stable stuff.
Our biggest fear is the young assholes that want to party and run around.

"Digger" Bill

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Wow easy to get political here.
Talk about stupid.., You can sail your sailboat and everyone knows it takes more people to sail a sailboat than it does to put the key in the motorboat and put the hammer down. Ever grind in a winch and not breath hard? Let's add the no fishing oh yeah like I want to stand next to a bunch of Asian dudes on a pier without having 6 ft between you, fishing for Tom cod and mackerel for the sport of it because it's still loaded with DDT. Maybe give everyone a piece of sidewalk chalk to mark off my space stay out.. Say no to the Nanny state and their one size fits all mentality.

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Wow easy to get political here.
Talk about stupid.., You can sail your sailboat and everyone knows it takes more people to sail a sailboat than it does to put the key in the motorboat and put the hammer down. Ever grind in a winch and not breath hard? Let's add the no fishing oh yeah like I want to stand next to a bunch of Asian dudes on a pier without having 6 ft between you, fishing for Tom cod and mackerel for the sport of it because it's still loaded with DDT. Maybe give everyone a piece of sidewalk chalk to mark off my space stay out.. Say no to the Nanny state and their one size fits all mentality.
"Say no to the Nanny state" is the mentality we fear will kill us. The rules of the Nanny state are adopted for the protection of all. By rejecting the Nanny state and its rules, you place your freedoms above the health of the rest of society.

Bill

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Not exactly Bill. this is like helmet laws on steroids. I was in the grocery store the other day and there was the clerk with the mask on improperly.
It's more dangerous to have people with the panacea of protection than actually paying attention to what they're doing
and complying with reasonable rules. You see these idiot people all the time touching the outside of their mask and then touching around their face. Just sit still and watch or get your binoculars out and do it from afar.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
This is not like the helmet laws. Helmets protect the wearer. Masks, unless they are N95 spec, do nothing for the wearer, but provide some protection for others. Yes, the Nanny state says you should wear a mask for my protection, not yours. Hands are just the opposite and somewhat like helmet laws. Where you place your hands is important to your health, not mine. Which is why they are seldom mentioned in the same manner as masks.
Bill

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
Look up the National Institute of Health and read their article on respiratory diseases . For almost 200 years, the best treatment has been outside in the sunshine, fresh air and not the germ riddled air you breathe time and again in your adobe. Gov Cuomo released a finding that showed 66% of all new cases were in people who sheltered in their homes! Crazy!!!

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Okay on the helmet law Bill apparently you're not familiar with the state of California logic enforcing it upon somebody even if they're riding on a country road in the middle of BFC. Their argument was you'll become a ward of the state should you become a head trauma. Never mind the fact you may have your own insurance. You can literally drink yourself to death or smoke yourself to death with whatever poison you want.
I looked up your city and it's 115,000 . I never said that I wouldn't wear a mask to protect anybody from anything I may be carrying. Maybe they should pay all of us old people $2,000 a month to stay home and let everybody else go to work.
Remember the flattening the curve was to make it so we wouldn't be overrun in the hospital, that didn't happen in case you hadn't noticed.
Let's both be nice here and agree to disagree on some things. It certainly is hard to argue with how none of those bumping and grinding chitlins at spring break swaping spit and everything else didn't have a cascading effect on their indigenous populations is pretty amazing. If you were in my little beach town of 300,000 people you'd see how ridiculous it is they close off one side of the street and the beach side and you got people walking 3 ft apart because they're just not enough room. If they were to open up both sides of the street everybody could be easily 9 ft apart. Clearly haven't commented on the motor boat isn't okay but the sailboat or row boat is.. if you were in California you would realize it's the dream of all the rich people in Malibu to keep all the peasants away from their beaches,

alpine_64

Donation Time
Its very interesting to observe the debate about the virus in the states.

From early January though till now the argument pivots as new information comes through... There always seems to be new reasons to explain why measures to contain it, search for it or how to come through it are either to strict, onorous, impinging on rights etc... There always seems to be a reason for why the health advice is wrong.

In a situation like this the only good outcome will come from people putting aside ideological differences and doing whats needed to be done to starve out the virus... It doesnt care about your politics... The longer it takes for people to think beyond their own personal interests and think of the community the higher the cost....

Good luck to you guys... The numbers there are sad when you acknowledge they are all people.

Ive been watching the info from the JHI daily since mid Jan... When it was just 3 countries.... This site distills it into counties totals..

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Warren, thanks for the insight into your thought process.

Jim, many, many thinks for the link. Data driven advice that readily translates into common sense. Can't beat that. It will guide our activities for the next few months.

Bill

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I appreciate your opinion and where we are all stuck.
I certainly would encourage you to listen to different sources maybe even try out an iHeartRadio platform and just listen to some of the local channels in other states. I don't live in San Diego but am working there. I had to wait in line outside a Home depot of 80,000 at least square foot building that was only allowed to have 100 people in it at a time. It was most cabin fever speaking as to the one size fits all. At least I could buy the Mrs garden stuff and paint for my rental.

65beam

Donation Time
There are now 4 cases in our county. Two have recovered and the other two have been in prison in northern Ohio for a few years.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
We are not so lucky. Our county, population 24,000 has 34 cases and 4 deaths. All but one of the surrounding counties have higher numbers. Some are in the hundreds of cases.

Bill