• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Floor pan

Wayne67vert

Donation Time
While I'm quarantined I decided to cut out the rusted driver side floor and make a replacement pan.
I cut the side of an old filing cabinet, trimmed and trimmed to fit, then used my bead roller to make the impressions. I am please how it looks. Now to clean up the rusty areas, prime, paint and weld in place.
upload_2020-3-26_19-19-43.png
GetAttachmentThumbnail

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Wayne67vert

Donation Time
Alpine_64, yes it is very close to the original. It's alot cheaper than buying new metal.
I was given 3 four drawer file cabinets and I plan to use them for my Alpine. I like recycling! :)

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I think the metal gauge is too thin because if 20ga sheet metal (normal thickness) was used with a bead roller...and without pre-stretching the panel, it would be badly warped and unusable. You might have problems welding and burning through.
Jan

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Neat-O!

That will seal off some noise and heat too. Hard work pays off many ways.

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
I have a question about the top "cap" of the frame cross member that is under the floor pans. Why can the floor pan be completely rusted through and that metal right underneath far less affected? Different metal? Different thickness? Different treatment? I finally got to picking through the floor pans of my series 3 project and saw what looked like much newer solid metal through some holes. First thought was perhaps a street sign or other scrap metal. But the location is the top of the cruciform frame member. I'll eventually do more digging, but thought someone would know what is going on there. Is is typical for the floor pans to be Swiss cheese and the frame cross members quite respectable?

Thanks
Rick

P1150811r.jpg

Wayne67vert

Donation Time
Rick, my x member has the same situation. The sheet metal floor was totally gone and the heavy metal of the x member was very good condition.

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Wayne,

Thank you. I'll take that as encouraging. So it looks like you did plug welds along where the cross members are in addition to the perimeter of the panels?

Rick

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Is is typical for the floor pans to be Swiss cheese and the frame cross members quite respectable?

Quite typical as long as the water has a chance to run off. Floor pans have a tendency to hold water, until of course they are rusted badly enough to have all of those pin holes. Once the pin holes rust rapidly takes over.

I have a SIV GT BW35 Alpine that was given to me because it was thought to be beyond recovery.

It was part of a deal where I purchased my Colour Code 70 ALpine. I had to drag the BW35 off in order to get the other one.

I spent some time going over it to see what if any thing could be salvaged....Glad I did. Put in storage 25 years, now it is one of my prize Alpines.

The floor pans and outside body panels were all rust! I was amazed at how the undercarriage was preserved.... NO RUST ANY WHERE. Learned that the PO had covered the BW35 Alpine for years with tin sheets that kept water away from any further damage to the inside.

I removed the floor pans and saw what you guys are speaking of. The Crossmember was in excellent condition. Amazing!

I did discover areas in and around the firewall where water damage and foreign matter could eventually penetrate and start rust inside the frame.

I highly recommend you cut some drain holes approximately 1" to 1 1/4" in diameter in the bottom of the "X" frame to allow drainage of water and other foreign matter. Look for the lowest point in the crossmember/frame for the best place for the holes.

I have had several Alpines where the X frame has been totally destroyed from rust because of foreign matter getting in side of the frame. Seems like the most probable place is right near and under the "A" Post.

I have some pictures that depict the area most likely to get damaged.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here are some PIC's of the BW35 I salvaged. A careful observation of the undercarriage will show no damage to the vital parts while the floor pans and the outer body sheet metal was a disaster.

I recommend a rotisserrie for anyone wanting to restore an Alpine. I have the plans for the asking,

KEEP'EM-ON-THE-ROADAlpine - 0766        1081.JPG Alpine - 0766        1072.JPG Alpine - 0766        1070.JPG Alpine - 0766        1068.JPG Alpine -  0766 GT BW 35  1011.JPG Alpine -  0766 GT BW 35   1010.JPG ALPINE - 0766 GT BW35     1009.JPG