• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

There are the projects you need to do and those you want to do.

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
The car hasn’t run for ten years, brakes are a mess, gas tanks most likely full of rust, but I remembered I had this T shifter left over from a Mustang project car many years ago. I’ve always liked the feel of the shifter and since it came in the tiger, I thought what the heck, why not. I’m going to stay with the 4 speed for the immediate future (hoping this one is ok). I’ll cut off the current shifter and weld on a stand that I can bolt the shifter to.

0E924D8E-6FDF-4B1F-BFE9-8D432FCA25C8.jpeg

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
You may want to shorten it right at the bend. It will be too long and too far back. You will regret not going with the T5. You will be too high of RPM's on the freeway.

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks Jim, the Tiger uses the shorter/straighter 289 Cobra shifter, where the one I have is used on the 64 1/2 - 66 Mustang and 427 Cobra (with the shifter reversed!).

I test fitted it last night, I think I may make it work just fine.

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
I had to tilt the bracket to keep the handle of the shifter to where I wanted it to be, but got it done.
9E0AC7BB-3A4F-4B6D-9EC7-28B016DFE9A6.jpeg 38B42F69-8837-49B7-BE2A-022B1F7FE82A.jpeg

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
Done deal. I tilted it forward to take into account the bend in the arm. Knob via eBay is on its way.
ABC90499-E2EA-4B73-BE27-333E3ECA2950.jpeg

alpine_64

Donation Time
Only the very early tigers used a short straight shifter... They made a taller one that cranked to make the first and third gear positons easier to reach.

The tigers had the shifter offset in the tunnel to the left.. This made 3rd on lhd difficult and 1st and reverse on rhd.

With your shifter mostly central amd far back it will probably be fine

alpine_64

Donation Time
It helps being 6’3”.
In a stock Tiger.. It makes it worse!
Im just over 184cm and have the seat all the way back and the reach to 3rd with the belts nice and tight is a PITA as you are a long way back from where it lands... Not helped by me running a hurst straight short shifter.. The stock lever bring taller and cranked makes it much easier.