• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Vizzard head gasket

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I've read and accumulated considerable information on the Vizard head to deliver to my machinist. The missing piece of information is how does one modify a head gasket to accommodate the head change? The only understanding I was able to glean out of all my readings is to have a custom gasket made. Please advise.

upload_2020-4-2_12-43-5.png

Last edited:

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
If done properly, there is no need to modify the head gasket. Position the gasket on the head in the proper place it will be upon assembly, tape it down, then carefully scribe a line on the head for each cylinder, indicating the limit of the gasket’s cylinder sealing ring. Remove the head gasket and store safely. Then perform the Vizard mod, using a template (a metal one works best), ensuring you do not stray beyond the scribed lines.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
As far as I recall the Vizard head modifications were within the given head gasket boundaries. Oops Kevin was a bit faster...

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'll be doing this to my 1725 head shortly. You use the stock head gasket to outline the areas to be
enlarged, and stay inside of that. There is no need for a custom gasket, Kevin has it right!

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I appreciate the confirmation of my strategy on this modification. Just good old fashion common sense. Thanks gents!

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Fine then. You also may buy one of his flow porting books. Excellent stuff. Tuning the A Series Engine was my bed lecture way back in my early Mini Days ( still have it). It made me reconsider many things when building an engine , i.e. not just putting the hottest cam & biggest Weber carbs ;-)

alpine_64

Donation Time
Vizard always preferences flow and air speed over compression and port size.

It would be interesting to back to back dtno a vizard and stock head

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
That's what I'm talking about. If I remember correctly he always compared his results , i.e. modified vs. stock on his flow bench...

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi bernd, he always gave results from the flow bench but iirc never actual HP gains on a dyno.

Of late ive been doing a lot of research and reading on cams, cylinder head combustion shapes, ports and flow.

Flow on a bench is an indicator but the gains on the bench are often not as beneficial on the engine due to the nature of pulses flows and the restrictions from other elements in the intake and exhaust path.

By no means am i disregarding vizard or his suggested rootes mods... We have proof there are gains on our motors with his guidance.

Bernd i should mail you with some of the other info and thoughts on the new race 1600.

Jerry.... of course to you too!

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Of course there are also other factors. Looking forward to your info. Our next Club Journal is coming soon ;).

P.S. Do you know anybody who has, or can manufacture oversized thrust washers for the 1600 ?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Bernd. I can think of people in AU that can do that.. But as with the rest of the world.. Wont be open.... And who knows what will reopen in the near future.... :-(

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Michael, let's keep it an option once we overcome the current situation. We all have to look forward don't we ?

Checked the SS catalogue and they appearantly did 0.010" oversized ones - NLA unfortunately. Would be perfectly sized for my current rebuild. If anybody has a set lying around, pls. let me know...

alpine_64

Donation Time
Michael, let's keep it an option once we overcome the current situation. We all have to look forward don't we ?

Checked the SS catalogue and they appearantly did 0.010" oversized ones - NLA unfortunately. Would be perfectly sized for my current rebuild. If anybody has a set lying around, pls. let me know...
Ill call a guy here for you that has lots of NOS stuff and aftermarket.. They may have some if you need a stock size like that.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, you could always bond .010" shim stock, cut to fit, to the back of the washers. They don't take constant load so I'd think this would work pretty well.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks Michael. Waiting your feedback...

Kevin: A good idea and that's what I'm trying at the moment. However finding metal sheets that thin already proved difficult. Got a sheet of Nickel steel 0.1mm thick and cutted 2 pieces to shape. They can be inserted and reduce play quite well. But didn't find any good glue yet. Overall a bit homemade approach. Oversized thrusts would be the better approach...

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I don’t have any .010 but I’ve got lots of .005. If you like I can mail you some.

As for attaching it, I’d use a quality epoxy. It’s not going anywhere once it’s bonded on with that.