• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Under dashboard rail

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am in need of a under dashboard rail it is the piece at the bottom of the instrument panel with or without foam or upholstery

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
I have one-ex Tiger Tom spare part, can bring it to the Invasion to save you shipping $$
Do you have the vent levers that connect under this lower panel?

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have one-ex Tiger Tom spare part, can bring it to the Invasion to save you shipping $$
Do you have the vent levers that connect under this lower panel?
Eric I probably will not be at the invasion. My contractor is way behind due to all of the rain we have had

loose_electron

Donation Time
A suggestion when you re-do that under dash rail - Get rid of the foam rubber and replace it with some fitted 3/4 round wood, which is then covered in the leather material. Looks exactly the same and won't break through the leater with a hard piece of wood underneath.

65beam

Donation Time
It would seem that using wood for the under dash roll could eliminate the original intent of the foam base. The original foam and replacement kits110_0721.JPG used an over sized foam which provided a little protection to your lower extremities. The foam needs compressed and the instructions for the kit give directions for doing the recover. Sunbeam Specialties 's part number for the kit is IP81. I have stashed somewhere a kit including the foam and the correct black pebble grain material for my series 4. I'll try to remember to dig out the kit and take a photo for those that haven't seen the kits. This photo shows what the upholstery shop did to the one in the RHD car. The wife wanted this her way so we found a material that was close to the texture of the crash pad. He also used an oversized dense foam.

Last edited:

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
A suggestion when you re-do that under dash rail - Get rid of the foam rubber and replace it with some fitted 3/4 round wood, which is then covered in the leather material. Looks exactly the same and won't break through the leater with a hard piece of wood underneath.

very nice workmanship. however, I think the use of wood would defeat the purpose of the padded roll..just sayin....

loose_electron

Donation Time
If you think that 1/4 inch of foam rubber is going to help you in an accident...

um...
Probably not much, something to do with physics I suspect.

:)

Suggest wearing your seat belts so you never get anywhere near that rail.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Jerry, While I understand the feeling of accomplishment when tasking a job like this, and your workmanship appears to be very nice, to me it doesn't make a lot of sense to make this effort when #1 it defeats the purpose of a (slight) cushioning effect, and #2 a strip of foam and 5 minutes takes care of the job easily.
Please don't tell me you're doing a wooden dash pad. ;)

loose_electron

Donation Time
Jerry, While I understand the feeling of accomplishment when tasking a job like this, and your workmanship appears to be very nice, to me it doesn't make a lot of sense to make this effort when #1 it defeats the purpose of a (slight) cushioning effect, and #2 a strip of foam and 5 minutes takes care of the job easily.
Please don't tell me you're doing a wooden dash pad. ;)

What invariably happens with this foam and leather combination is that in a few years the leather cover breaks through after repeated compressions and being banged into. It then looks like crap. This method lasts and endures some wear and tear. As for a wooden dash pad? Hardly. THis is what it looks like when it is done.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
What invariably happens with this foam and leather combination is that in a few years the leather cover breaks through after repeated compressions and being banged into. It then looks like crap. This method lasts and endures some wear and tear. As for a wooden dash pad? Hardly. THis is what it looks like when it is done.
Just curious, what gauges did you install there?