• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Column cover

davida4speed

Silver Level Sponsor
I have a steering column cover in good condition, but is faded from sun exposure. What is the best way to fix this? Paint (what kind) or wet sand it down ?

Pete S.

Bronze Level Sponsor
Automotive body paint works well. I sanded, then primed mine with PPG DP90LF. Deltron single stage gloss black made it look better than new.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I rubbed mine down with 0000 (very fine) steel wool and then used black shoe polish. Sounds crazy, but it worked great.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm another one with shoe polish on my cover. I 'painted' it with India ink first, which soaks into the sanded bakelite and brings back the black after sanding. But, it leaves a flat finish and the black shoe polish does a nice job bringing back the shine, with a little buffing. As for touch up, the only tine I have needed to touch it up is if I get Windex on it washing the inside of the windshield. But touchup only takes a second.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I'm another one with shoe polish on my cover. I 'painted' it with India ink first, which soaks into the sanded bakelite and brings back the black after sanding. But, it leaves a flat finish and the black shoe polish does a nice job bringing back the shine, with a little buffing. As for touch up, the only tine I have needed to touch it up is if I get Windex on it washing the inside of the windshield. But touchup only takes a second.

Nice, used some shoe polish the other day on a period suitcase for the parcel shelf. Like the India ink idea too. Possibly a light satin clear coat would protect from the window cleaner.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I spent several months in Ghana West Africa working with the University of Cape Coast. Shoe polish was the go to coating for all wood carvings. Brought out the grain and gave each piece a wonderful shine. I still have the 25 year old pieces with the same sheen. That being said, I have used my wheel polisher as if I'm doing a plastic lens. Worked great. Caveat, it took many years to gain the "fine touch" technique and is not suggested for the beginner. Catching the shroud with the wheel will most likely end in a disappointing day. Or pressing to hard will burn the material and leave an unsightly mark.

Limey

Donation Time
I like the idea of leather dye. I used Bakelite (polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride :rolleyes:) polish that you can by from radio restorers. Ans I agree with a good soaking in real India ink. Then wipe with coats of India ink allow to dry and polish. repeat until blacker than black. Final shine up with old school black wax boot polish.

Spray doesn't look right and eventually degrades.