• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Factory films?

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
For lack of a better place to post this I’ve posted it under “factory original...”. Kinda makes sense.

I’ve never really seen any films of Alpines being manufactured, or any factory-related films. Does anyone know of any? They would be a great resource for restoration. I’ve used MG factory films many times for that purpose.

alpine_64

Donation Time
There are detailed photos of the 3 main alpine unibody components and alpine assembly for early cars. No.films ive seen.

Tigers only have 1 known assembly line pic and cars are basically competed

Limey

Donation Time
I have about 25 black and white shots of the Alpine assembly line including workers having a ciggy whilst working on the line It shows that the engine and gearbox on the front axle subframe were fitted from beneath as one unit. I tried this and it works a treat with 10mm either side complete with carbs. All I had to do was bolt the front frame and gearbox subframe to the body and connect the pipes and linkages.

Somewhere I have the booklets that went with Rootes training films for transmission servicing, Auto boxes, diff adjustment etc but no films alas.

I also have the 'secret' Rootes salesman's script book they were to use when selling to Alpines to clients with various stats and reasons to buy an Alpine.

The most interesting book is the service department manual which tells you the labour time on every conceivable repair or service. 8.5 hours to remove the head, de-coke and lap in new valves seems leisurely to me. Good old Britain in the sixties. No wonder we went down the pan...

65beam

Donation Time
I have about 25 black and white shots of the Alpine assembly line including workers having a ciggy whilst working on the line It shows that the engine and gearbox on the front axle subframe were fitted from beneath as one unit. I tried this and it works a treat with 10mm either side complete with carbs. All I had to do was bolt the front frame and gearbox subframe to the body and connect the pipes and linkages.

Somewhere I have the booklets that went with Rootes training films for transmission servicing, Auto boxes, diff adjustment etc but no films alas.

I also have the 'secret' Rootes salesman's script book they were to use when selling to Alpines to clients with various stats and reasons to buy an Alpine.

The most interesting book is the service department manual which tells you the labour time on every conceivable repair or service. 8.5 hours to remove the head, de-coke and lap in new valves seems leisurely to me. Good old Britain in the sixties. No wonder we went down the pan...
The old sales brochures, parts books, manuals, etc, are very interesting. My collection is now past the 450 mark and going towards 500 pieces. I have three of the flat rate manuals and also have dealer price sheets for the parts with them being from different years. I have the salesman books and one is for the later cars and has the facts concerning not only Sunbeam but also Simca. I recently picked up an Austrailian dealer brochure for Commer vans and I think I now have all the brochures for Venezias. Do you have all of the Harrington dealer brochures?

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
The post wasn’t really about literature - like others, I’ve got a ton of that. I was particularly interested in factory video footage. It would seem that there isn’t any easily found and I was wondering if anyone had seen any.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The post wasn’t really about literature - like others, I’ve got a ton of that. I was particularly interested in factory video footage. It would seem that there isn’t any easily found and I was wondering if anyone had seen any.
Kevin ive seen and have the launch videos of the series I.. Just no factory floor stuff

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I’d be interested in seeing those launch videos of the Series 1. Are they available online?

alpine_64

Donation Time
I’d be interested in seeing those launch videos of the Series 1. Are they available online?
Kevin think ive seen them online.. But if not.. Ill see if i can dig them up. Colour footage of the luanch in cannes and test in the alps

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Just noticed Limey's post of actually putting and engine in with the subframe. I did this too. But, it comes with a BIG warning. I was swapping all the parts from one car to another. I jacked up the new body nice and high. I then put a roller under the car with the engine/trans/front end. I put it under the trans. Unbolted the trans, and crossmember, planning on lifting the body up high, then just rolling the trans/engine/crossmember over and under the new body. All worked fine EXCEPT the damn wheels went opposite directions and flopped down. I didn't think about the wheels being tied together across the body, and when I disconnected the wheels from the steering, there was nothing holding them together!

So now I know ... and you know ... get the crossmember up on something to roll, and don't use the car's wheels to do it!