• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

S1 Fuel Filler cap

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
S1 never came with the 3 eared just the plain dome one. They are rather plentiful and come up for sale frequently...

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
True, but not original. Even though many SI owners retrofitted a three eared cap once it became available with the SII. I also use one on my SI but it's a modified & polished oilcap of Lotus engine. Looks the same ;)

65beam

Donation Time
True, but not original. Even though many SI owners retrofitted a three eared cap once it became available with the SII. I also use one on my SI but it's a modified & polished oilcap of Lotus engine. Looks the same ;)
True. If you haven't already done so you might want to look over the concourse rules on the TE/AE site. These rules were put together by several clubs and address pretty much everything including classes other than stock. That doesn't mean that there is a vast knowledge by judges of right or wrong. At the United in August I lost a point on the interior for having an original LeMans wood shift knob which judges thought should have been a black knob with the shift pattern. Normally the stock class whether it's Tiger, Alpine or Rare Rootes is overshadowed by the other classes of cars due to modifications.

Last edited:

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
I love orginality, but I'm not stubborn. Tiny improvements or period updates are still fine. No problem. Regarding false judgement on your HLM - hmm. Think there are only a handful guys on this planet who understand what was original on those cars and what was not...

P.S. I'll also put an original shift knob on my HLM project :rolleyes:

65beam

Donation Time
I love orginality, but I'm not stubborn. Tiny improvements or period updates are still fine. No problem. Regarding false judgement on your HLM - hmm. Think there are only a handful guys on this planet who understand what was original on those cars and what was not...

P.S. I'll also put an original shift knob on my HLM project :rolleyes:
It didn't bother me. We brought home 1st in judged Rare Rootes, Most Desirable Rare Rootes and also Most Desirable Rootes. That means I got more popular votes for Most Desirable than the Tigers, Talbots, etc. Myself and another owner were exterior and trunk judges and you do see variances.

Limey

Donation Time

Hi Bernd, I was aware that they were on Lotus's as well but how thick is your cap? I have 2 thicknesses. Does your Lotus caps have a breather hole?

alpine_64

Donation Time
The lotus oil filler cap was the same mfg as the rootes petrol cap... As a side note the early lotus twink used the Si round cap rootws used on SI alpines and many minx models.

Iirc the oil caps lack the breather.

Burton im the UK used to stock repro lotus 3 ear oil caps

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Oliver, the Lotus cap is a bit thinner than the original and it is not chromed. It doesn't have a breather but no problem since it doesn't sit that tight. Alteratively you may consider to drill a small hole...

Limey

Donation Time
I mentioned the hole becuase Lotus caps usually have one. No Hole = Rootes? Just did a Google and 3 out of 4 Lotus caps are drilled, sometimes with a retainer wire. Both thick and thin.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-20 at 20.42.23.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-20 at 20.42.23.png
    582.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot 2020-07-20 at 20.43.22.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-20 at 20.43.22.png
    482.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot 2020-07-20 at 20.43.12.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-20 at 20.43.12.png
    620.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot 2020-07-20 at 20.42.33.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-20 at 20.42.33.png
    476.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Perhaps I was wrong about the ventilation. Think I have the first one ( car is not here at the moment)...

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
If I remember correctly, an Oil Cap may fit....... can't remember from which car tho..........

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I saw this lonk on one of our SAOCA threads https://www.classicbritishspares.com/collections/triumph-gas-tank-parts/products/triumph-chrome-vented-gas-cap-dome-83-3875-genuine-ceandess-29-7898-petrol-fuel
Looks to be the same (Triumph motorcycle), but, I'm not certain.

Something went off the wrong direction when I tried the link. I can highlight it and copy/paste into internet search to find the CBS motorcycle link.

DSCN5400_1024x1024.JPG

DSCN5397_1024x1024.JPG

Last edited: