• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Reviving dead paint

Wayne67vert

Donation Time
Bringing the paint back from the dead. 2000 wet sandpaper, Sure Finish polish, Meguires Carnuba wax.

Attachments

• 20200113_152356.jpg
    20200113_152356.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 54

alpine_64

Donation Time
Did you claybar the paint first?
If its heavily oxidised a good procees to get a nice finish and no heavy swirl marks ( dependant on paimt depth):

Wash first with heavily lathering foam.
Clay bar the paint.
Wet sand (grade depending on paint depth and oxidation.. If good depth maybe go 1500 then 2000.
Use a fine cutting compound with a oscillating machine buff.
Use a good quality polish
Then seal with a wax or synthetic wax

Wayne67vert

Donation Time
The paint is a respray probably 30 or more years old. Lots of corrosion thru and lots of chips, several areas rust stained.
I gave it a good wash with a heavy detergent with bleach to remove some of the staining. I did not use a clay bar. It's getting a 2000 grit wet sanding to smooth out some of the corrosion and chips.
The car could really use another respray, but I don't feel I can keep the cost reasonable with how much body work is needed.
I plan to drive it and enjoy it as is.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The paint is a respray probably 30 or more years old. Lots of corrosion thru and lots of chips, several areas rust stained.
I gave it a good wash with a heavy detergent with bleach to remove some of the staining. I did not use a clay bar. It's getting a 2000 grit wet sanding to smooth out some of the corrosion and chips.
The car could really use another respray, but I don't feel I can keep the cost reasonable with how much body work is needed.
I plan to drive it and enjoy it as is.
In that case try and keep the rust at bay .. Put as many miles on as you can and start saving :)

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
IMG_2344.JPG IMG_2540.JPG IMG_2548.JPG Revived original paint (not repainted)on the current SV project. Had surface rust, deceided to keep the original paint (It's only original once). Washed 28 yrs of dirt off, clay barred the whole car and used mequire's #2 and a buffer. It came back, some spot still need a touch up. But I'm with you Wayne, drive and enjoy.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
View attachment 18544 View attachment 18545 View attachment 18546 Revived original paint (not repainted)on the current SV project. Had surface rust, deceided to keep the original paint (It's only original once). Washed 28 yrs of dirt off, clay barred the whole car and used mequire's #2 and a buffer. It came back, some spot still need a touch up. But I'm with you Wayne, drive and enjoy.

‘Nice! So glad you took the time and effort to do so, I too believe “It’s only original once” and decided to keep as much as I could original including the old paint. PO told me it sat for over 20yrs out in a field (dry desert climate with the hard top in place) and another 8yrs next to his barn after saving it from the crusher.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rw5VJrqz8eV4T3RbA

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
That came back nicely for a desert car. Since the PO on mine past without relaying any history unfortunately. Since mice chewed up the wiring and upholstery, door panels changed. Too much changed to keep it original in certain area. Going with a V6 kit from Dan which looked like a better way to go.

65beam

Donation Time
You would almost think Al is a Ford fanatic! But he hasn't changed the engine in the Minx yet.

65beam

Donation Time
I did get two 2.8 V6's from George.
Al,
Jean and I considered setting a 2.8 / 5 speed in the 69. Jose looked it over and said it would be an easy swap because of the amount of room in the engine compartment. The Minx has an equal amount of space. The 69 hasn't been driven for over a year so there really isn't any reason to make the swap. We're just like many older owners. We use a trailer for long trips.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Came out nice Wayne! Like the rounded headlight rims. Sorry for stealing the thread.....Did some more sanding with 1200 grit on the lower fenders and rocker, since most area had surface rust and little paint, makes it a better looking 20 footer.IMG_2348.JPGIMG_2348.JPG
Bob - so far the SM Estate wagon will retain it's stock drivetrain, runs a lot better since the carb got sorted out.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Wayne, great job on the paint salvage operation. Looks like you refinsihed the wire wheels too. Has come up as a nice survivor in yoir photos.

Assume a late SV by the painted non-eyebrow headlight rims.

Well done.

65beam

Donation Time
Came out nice Wayne! Like the rounded headlight rims. Sorry for stealing the thread.....Did some more sanding with 1200 grit on the lower fenders and rocker, since most area had surface rust and little paint, makes it a better looking 20 footer.View attachment 18563View attachment 18563
Bob - so far the SM Estate wagon will retain it's stock drivetrain, runs a lot better since the carb got sorted out.
Al,
I haven't had time to get the 69 out of the trailer so I can do some cleaning of it. It's been in the trailer since October of 2018 so if you're needing something else to do I'll drop it off.