• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Time to make the Donuts

loose_electron

Donation Time
When you redo the dashboard, consider using something that looks good but will take some wear and tear. I redid the dashboard using Formica, with a wood grain surface on it.

In addition, I re-did the gauges and lights, and filled in holes that were not getting used. Things like the cigarette lighter, and windshield washer squirter went away.

The windshield squirter never worked well, even when the car was brand new.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Jerry, can you show a closeup of the surround pieces around the knobs and switches? If you use the vinyl, for durability use the clearcoat. 3M has a primer to help adhesion plus paint the edges with durable enamel.

Last edited:

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Lot of interesting stuff here BUT all I did was post some pictures of the paint work and got a lot of stuff about dashboards. of which I ended up participating also!

65beam

Donation Time
Lot of interesting stuff here BUT all I did was post some pictures of the paint work and got a lot of stuff about dashboards. of which I ended up participating also!
Joel,
How long have I known you? You tend to open up broad conversations!:)

Charles Johns

Donation Time
PROCRAFT, is that "float an image" the same as is done to camo guns? As a retired armorer, it looks as if that process may be used in many places on cars. Also, we have snow here in Abilene, Texas this AM...but not like the guys in the north deal with. That heated creeper idea sounds great though.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
PROCRAFT, is that "float an image" the same as is done to camo guns? As a retired armorer, it looks as if that process may be used in many places on cars. Also, we have snow here in Abilene, Texas this AM...but not like the guys in the north deal with. That heated creeper idea sounds great though.
Not sure my guy floats the pattern in a tank and then transfers to what ever,he does a lot of stuff for schools etc. He's got a skull pattern that's pretty cool????

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Not sure my guy floats the pattern in a tank and then transfers to what ever,he does a lot of stuff for schools etc. He's got a skull pattern that's pretty cool????
I have never seen it done in person but I watched a video where a camo pattern was floated on top of water, I think it was water, and it attached to a gun as the gun was removed, by lifting it out of the tank. Only got to see it once and only for a moment, so when you mentioned "float" I had to ask. The Sunbeam looks nice...actually what my generation called TOUGH.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
I have never seen it done in person but I watched a video where a camo pattern was floated on top of water, I think it was water, and it attached to a gun as the gun was removed, by lifting it out of the tank. Only got to see it once and only for a moment, so when you mentioned "float" I had to ask. The Sunbeam looks nice...actually what my generation called TOUGH.
I'm thinking your right,from what was explained to me. They float the pattern which separates from the backing and imerse the part. Don't take that explanation to the bank.

loose_electron

Donation Time
Jerry, can you show a closeup of the surround pieces around the knobs and switches? If you use the vinyl, for durability use the clearcoat. 3M has a primer to help adhesion plus paint the edges with durable enamel.
Jim:

It is not vinyl, it is the same material that was used for millions of kitchen counters in the 1940-1990 era, commonly known as Formica, it is very hard, very durable, and resistant to scratching. It looks like wood, but it is not wood, and it requires some very careful inspection before you realize that it is not wood. There are no overcoats or clear coats on top of the surface. The surface requires no overcoats or protection.

https://www.formica.com/en-us/produ...descending;@hue ascending&f:Style=[Woodgrain]

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Jerry, I know yours is Formica. I am planning on using the vinyl with clear coat. I was curious about the label rings around the knobs and switches and where you got them?