• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Gasser

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
That's what the Mrs. calls me :)
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/pts/d/cross-city-vintage-60s-gasser-1964/7021548445.html
01616_2CLws1zkfy5_600x450.jpg

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
When this started as a eBay auction last Sunday the seller was trying to pass the car off as a Tiger. Read the heading and the car's description in this now-ended link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283678350601?ul_noapp=true

I attempted to get the VIN off the tag that's clearly shown on the cowl but s/he refused it, instead referring to the nonexistent 39106012 ID that's shown on the title. After a half dozen emails the seller pulled the auction, relisted it at $11K with a few more pics but continued to call it a Tiger. After some more contact the description was changed and the starting price lowered to (still overpriced) $7 Grand. Here's what the auction looks like right now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUNBEAM-Gasser-Race-Car-located-in-FL-sbc-auto-dana-rear-axle/283679507626

The seller still refuses to provide the VIN on the cowl tag! Based on the communication I had with the seller, I'm convinced this clown was knowingly misrepresenting the car in hopes some unsuspecting bidder would buy an obvious V8 Series V Alpine believing it to be a Tig.

Mark ..... volvoguys

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
Looking at the car body I would say it is a late series 4 or series 5 (Square door and later style panels for hood).

The tile has VIN 3910612 and states Tiger which is clearly incorrect.

The correct VIN could possible have started B395 for a series 5 and been inputted in correctly into the system at some time in the past?

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I still get guys that ask is it a Tiger on both my cars. I have 2 that have no 67 in front of the year as to year first sold. One time a clerk at the DMV on correction as she added the missing B back said "no charge it was our mistake." Seen at least 8 cars titled wrong in California

Just a note...

CHIPS at least with the 3 or 4 I have talked to one a trainer in the VIN check area say LRXFE is a designation and not part of the VIN, which is correct. The cops are trained to look out for a Sunbeam and look at the last few letters or numbers in the VIN rather than the whole thing. So if one is stolen and they see you XFE or Alpine last 3 you may go off on the hook till proven different.

65beam

Donation Time
I still get guys that ask is it a Tiger on both my cars. I have 2 that have no 67 in front of the year as to year first sold. One time a clerk at the DMV on correction as she added the missing B back said "no charge it was our mistake." Seen at least 8 cars titled wrong in California

Just a note...

CHIPS at least with the 3 or 4 I have talked to one a trainer in the VIN check area say LRXFE is a designation and not part of the VIN, which is correct. The cops are trained to look out for a Sunbeam and look at the last few letters or numbers in the VIN rather than the whole thing. So if one is stolen and they see you XFE or Alpine last 3 you may go off on the hook till proven different.
Warren,
Do the state troopers check the VIN on a regular basis due to required yearly inspections or do they spot check cars? I know of one owner here in Ohio that had a hard time getting an Ohio title made for a car bought in California due to additions on the title that could not be found on the car. I know of one car that had a plastic tag with additional numbers and letters that looked like it came out of a hand label maker and those numbers were on the title. That raised questions. Were the additions a common California practice over the years?

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Bob, dealers out here simply put the year first sold in front of the VIN. Other vehicles like motorcycles got the same treatment , I had a 65 Honda with a 69 year put on as year first sold. IDK if you are referring to the red or black tag that was under the JAL tag that said SUN65. There is a lot of bad information out there and an example would be Russo and Steele demanding the addition of the LRXFE on title thinking it was part of the VIN and not the designation. We have no yearly inspections for road fitness only smog for 76 forward. A cop may inspect the car on any traffic stop with dreamed up P.C. Should there be a stolen Alpine or Tiger in theory the car could be impounded should the cop be looking at make model and the last XFE most times this was also done by insurance co. as listing the last three digits of VIN make and model. I have not been pulled over but once got a PA blast and a no no wag of the finger after a chirping corner cutting turn. I have seen more than the 8 I mentioned earlier and know several cars with issues related to tags including my first Tiger now languishing under a tarp in LA home to critters at last report :(
Maybe this seller just doesn't know WTH he has and is starting on a fishing expedition.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Now, wait a minute, I gotta say; if you turned up at Cars and Coffee with this, I guaranteeee that you would be surrounded with guys looking and asking questions. Now, would I??? Uhh, NO. But I think it's kind of cool in it's own "Funny-car" way.
Would not want to try and drive it I think.
By the way, I think all those guys surrounding you at Cars and Coffee would probably be walking away shaking their heads. o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
I do not want to steal this thread, but a friend of mine has a Sunbeam that is more than a gasser. (Not for sale)

Attachments

• blower_072.jpg
    blower_072.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 70

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
Sorry for the confusion. That "Make Offer" was when he bought the car many years ago. NOT FOR SALE

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Ok, that sounds definite. Certainly not street legal. Where does he run that machine ? Drag strips ?

65beam

Donation Time
Way back in 1969 a group of us decided to build an off road track on a farm owned by one of the groups dad. We used it to race our rail buggies. One Sunday a guy showed up with what turned out to be a series 1 Alpine that he was using for off road. The car was beat to pieces and I later ended up with the car. I seem to remember that I gave $25.00 for it. I still have pieces of the body.

Last edited: