• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Harrinton type A racecar

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Jerry is right. The trunk fit is terrible on that Harrington Alpine. Wonder who did that "mess" :confused::(

65beam

Donation Time
The last time I saw the car the trunk looked great. This photo looks like the trunk lid needs latched.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
I like the tyres though. They look a bit like the pictures from Le Mans. Anybody know the maker and spec?
Oliver

You can find good used sets on Ebay. Around the end of the year Formula Jr drivers some times will put fresh tires on for the Monterey Historics replacing lightly used Dunlop L's. Note, for street use the bias plys are pretty poor compared to a good set of radial, especially in the rain. Also, note they aren't DOT compliant but I am not sure many inspection shops in the US even check. The "L"s are the hard compound tire and often the race clubs require them.

The good news is the price has come down on these tires based on the advertisement posted. For awhile Dunlop had discontinued many of the sizes. There were significant business changes looked like they might be discontinued.

Last edited:

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have a set of the Dunlops for the #41 Sebring Alpine that were purchased after one heat at the Monterey Historics for $25 apiece. Amazing what the competitive bug does to the economic relationship between supply and demand. Just to get that minuscule edge between a new tire and a single heat tire owners will purchase brand new tires every heat race. The Laguna Seca track is 2.238 miles. Most cars are covering around 10 laps in the 20 minute time constraint per heat. So my set of tires have approximately 25 hard miles on them.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bob, Re boot lid. These were highly professional photos taken for the 2020 RM Sothbey's Scottsdale auction. Difficult to think the RM Sotheby's team would have made such an amateur mistake. I will be able to check your theory when I see #55 in a couple weeks.

One thing I have recently been obsessed about in restoring my original #41 Sebring Alpine is the dash color. #55 appears to have the correct color.
upload_2019-12-31_9-3-2.png

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
Bob, Re boot lid. These were highly professional photos taken for the 2020 RM Sothbey's Scottsdale auction. Difficult to think the RM Sotheby's team would have made such an amateur mistake. I will be able to check your theory when I see #55 in a couple weeks.

One thing I have recently been obsessed about in restoring my original #41 Sebring Alpine is the dash color. #55 appears to have the correct color.
View attachment 18385
Jerry,
It could be that it's not latched or it could be it's set in this manner due to the fuel cell being used or the latch and hinges may need adjusted or the photographer just didn't notice it if it was left unlatched. Hard to say. If it needs adjusted a good body man could do the job in a short time. Do you plan to buy it?

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Originality commands a premium in the vintage automobile market. A close example of this is what Steven Alcala accomplished. We all know the high quality of craftsmanship he displays from the products he has done over the years (#9 Lister Le Mans Tiger as a great example).
001.jpg

With the 1962 #41 tribute Sebring Alpine (residing at the Thunder Dome museum in Washington State) Alcala did a magnificent job. Alcala's exquisite restoration of the 1962 #43 original Sebring Alpine (brother to my original #41) brings us to a comparison of current market values. The tribute #41 brought $19,000 at auction two years ago. The original #43 should bring a serious $100,000 plus in today's market. This analysis is based on my recent first hand knowledge. Last year a restored 1962 Factory Works Sebring MG (with a high quality restoration) sold privately for $250,000. This is the same MG as well as all of the MGs, Triumphs, etc my original 1962 #41 Sebring Alpine beat and took 3rd in class (Abarth Porches were 1&2) with Peter Harper/Peter Proctor driving. The tribute, replica, re-bodied, #55 NART Harrington Alpine should have the same value as any tribute car about 10 to 30% of an original (depending on quality of work and the marques overall demand). This makes auctioning the tribute #55 the only option for the current owner to make a sale to try and regain his original investment (around $130,000). Knowledgeable collectors would not privately pay six figures for #55. It is on the block with no reserve so it should be interesting. I estimate its value at $50,000 give or take $15,000 (the NART factor is historically important). I will be on my annual trip to the 2020 auction week in Scottsdale, AZ and I will have a close look at #55. I don't believe I will be a player for this car unless I see or learn something I don't already know about #55.

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
Originality commands a premium in the vintage automobile market. A close example of this is what Steven Alcala accomplished. We all know the high quality of craftsmanship he displays from the products he has done over the years (#9 Lister Le Mans Tiger as a great example).
001.jpg

With the 1962 #41 tribute Sebring Alpine (residing at the Thunder Dome museum in Washington State) Alcala did a magnificent job. Alcala's exquisite restoration of the 1962 #43 original Sebring Alpine (brother to my original #41) brings us to a comparison of current market values. The tribute #41 brought $19,000 at auction two years ago. The original #43 should bring a serious $100,000 plus in today's market. This analysis is based on my recent first hand knowledge. Last year a restored 1962 Factory Works Sebring MG (with a high quality restoration) sold privately for $250,000. This is the same MG as well as all of the MGs, Triumphs, etc my original 1962 #41 Sebring Alpine beat and took 3rd in class (Abarth Porches were 1&2) with Peter Harper/Peter Proctor driving. The tribute, replica, re-bodied, #55 NART Harrington Alpine should have the same value as any tribute car about 10 to 30% of an original (depending on quality of work and the marques overall demand). This makes auctioning the tribute #55 the only option for the current owner to make a sale to try and regain his original investment (around $130,000). Knowledgeable collectors would not privately pay six figures for #55. It is on the block with no reserve so it should be interesting. I estimate its value at $50,000 give or take $15,000 (the NART factor is historically important). I will be on my annual trip to the 2020 auction week in Scottsdale, AZ and I will have a close look at #55. I don't believe I will be a player for this car unless I see or learn something I don't already know about #55.
I guess the difference is whether you're a collector or a flipper. The wife and I have a collection of Sunbeams and have spent a lot of money to do the restorations. As a collector my cars are not for sale and for that reason we have no concern about the dollar value needed to make the car what the wife and I want since the cars are not investments.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bob, like you I don't sell my vehicles. However, I am very discerning about what I buy and mostly focus on vehicles that have a rich history with an accurate accounting of the claimed provenance. All my diverse holdings and acquisitions have investment value. I have never been capricious about spending money. There is definitely a difference. I am pleased that you and your wife are happy.

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
Bob, like you I don't sell my vehicles. However, I am very discerning about what I buy and mostly focus on vehicles that have a rich history with an accurate accounting of the claimed provenance. All my diverse holdings and acquisitions have investment value. I have never been capricious about spending money. There is definitely a difference. I am pleased that you and your wife are happy.
Jerry,
Thank you. We're always happy. I've always liked the phrase "He who dies with the most toys wins!".

alpine_64

Donation Time
Actually i think Jerry's post illustrates the focus of collector, enthusiast and flipper, but not in light the poster questioning Jerry raised.

Historic period race cars are important because of the events they competed in and people that drove them. You can build a replica of any old race car, but the replica wasnt the one that competed/achieved the original results. The "value" is its history. This appeals to collectors, enthusiasts anf flippers.

Where this diverges is.. A collector will want the original car and want it as original as possible or as close to as raced.

An enthusiast will want an original race car, and probably use it for its intended purpose. They may update it/ develop it a little, but with reversible mods ( steves sebring car a good example) they would also hapoily race a tribute/ recreation but openly disclose it as such.. They arent trying to fool anyone.

A flipper will want an original car for it's value... But... The value to them is the most important part.. And if they are less than honest they will conceal a rebody etc as it inpacts the value and the money is what they care about.

Also to be clear on this .. I belive when bob owned the car he rebodied it because of the extensive rust and his ability to personally resurrect the car.. It was rusted beyond a basic resto. Its a pity he didnt keep the original unibody.. Much like steve Alcalas sebring car or the linder knocker low drag E-type... One day a brave soul could have rebuilt the original

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Isn't it great to be a part of the amazing world of automobiles!! Especially for those of us here that carry on the legacy of the Rootes Group.
Have a Happy Sunbeam New Year
Cheers to all

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yep , that's the proper Motto for the new year! Let's start into the "roaring twenty" and let everybody pay what a specific Rootes car may be worth to him ;)