• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sunbeam Flat Top "Ross"Racing Pistons

alpine_64

Donation Time
Wonder whose parts they were.

They should have taken a photo of the side of the box that will have deck heights, stroke pins etc...

alpine_64

Donation Time
Im guessing a spare or sample piston as they are custom.

Be good to know the silicone content of them if they are 4032 or 2618 and what deck height they are set for. The photo shown on the side of the box is missing some info... Maybe its in the spec sheets.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
STD bore size = 3.210"; Ross pistons = 3.263"; Delta = 0.053" oversize. Strange oversize, but they can be fitted. Also it looks like you fit your own pins, since they are missing.
Jan

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
No spec. sheet .... asked him about any build numbers on the box as ROSS maybe able to supply those spec's. These were an estate buy and doesn't have any info about prior owner. Here's pic.s he sent me.

...... David

***** there is a job number on the box so maybe ROSS can supply the spec.s ... I'm curious so I'll contact them tomorrow as they are local to me and post additional info .....

Attachments

• flat tops.jpg
    flat tops.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 35
  • flat tops1.jpg
    flat tops1.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
STD bore size = 3.210"; Ross pistons = 3.263"; Delta = 0.053" oversize. Strange oversize, but they can be fitted. Also it looks like you fit your own pins, since they are missing.
Jan

Jan i guessed the overbore size was probably allowance for a modern size ring... Or if forged maybe to allow the larger clearence and still be within a rule for max overbore....

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
I think we will find these parts are from the late Scott Harvey (?)

He was a long time Rootes guy.

His SV Alpine race car was/is for sale as well (somewhere).

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
The seller said he lived in Sun City/Menifee area but didn't think he had a name to go with the location but he'll check when he gets home and message me. .... He wasn't the same Scott Harvey that raced ralley and with Team Star-Fish in the American Trans-Am racing series with drivers Richard Petty, Bruce Jennings and Charles Rainville.was he?

.... David

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Well .. If I had looked though his other items for auction he has a Rally Trophy listed that was won by Scott Harvey and Ralph Beckman so there ya' have it ... On further correspondence he also said there was a Alpine in the garage for sale but couldn't afford it. I'll get any info about the car and post it latter today with any info on these pistons.

..... David

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Dan, was that the metalic green with gold wheels SV?

Contacted Ross Racing Pistons (800 392-7677) and they said they were a "very" old set/job no. but still had a record of them ... only had the compression height at 1.776 and no info on the rods but I could have talked to one of the techs for more possible info. ... The ebay seller said there was a green Alpine in the garage for sale at $16,500 not sure of year or series as he's not a car guy nor had the $$'s to buy it.

........ David

alpine_64

Donation Time
David,

Good sleuthing, seems like a start for someone ro make a nice motot..

Stange the seller just randomly bought parts with no knowledge of what they are or detail...

65beam

Donation Time
David,

Good sleuthing, seems like a start for someone ro make a nice motot..

Stange the seller just randomly bought parts with no knowledge of what they are or detail...
Maybe the pistons were part of a "TAKE IT ALL OR NOTHING" deal. I've done that back when dealers were selling off parts. Anybody need Simca parts? I've also bought parts from owners in that fashion. Anybody need a rear sway bar? Joel, do you want it back?

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
"Identifying custom piston specs for Sunbeam Alpine engine job #44909"

From Ross sales:
Bore = 3.263
Compression height = 1.776
Rings = 1.5, 1.5, 4mm
Pins = .927 x 2.500
That is all the information we have.

Regards,

625 S. Douglas St.
El Segundo, CA 90245