• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Nice Original SIV on BAT-No Reserve

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
That's hilarious the peanut gallery there . Apparently Tiger owners are ego driven. Funny last week a 20 something gal came up to me at the beach and asked me for a ride. 3 blocks from home I could hear it , you got some splaining to do. I politely told her I had just opened my freeway bagged beverage in the parking lot to watch the sunset...

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I thought it interesting that they made up a new category for Series IV's. Never heard of a B
model before.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I had thought overdrive cars had “OD” on the chassis plate... mine does. I do see the switch, but the OD light seems to be missing (just an open hole on the fascia).

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
That's hilarious the peanut gallery there . Apparently Tiger owners are ego driven. Funny last week a 20 something gal came up to me at the beach and asked me for a ride. 3 blocks from home I could hear it , you got some splaining to do. I politely told her I had just opened my freeway bagged beverage in the parking lot to watch the sunset...
A few years ago, I gave a ride home to a 40's something parking lot admirer. She had just gotten off work (dishwasher) and was walking home. We had gone about 4 blocks when she announced, "I would run off with you in this car". Hmm.

Bill

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I had thought overdrive cars had “OD” on the chassis plate... mine does. I do see the switch, but the OD light seems to be missing (just an open hole on the fascia).
It could be that they have the turn signal switch on the wrong side of the column, but it looks like a switch
to me. Could be that it was added afterwards. Could be wrong. Nice survivor though!

alpine_64

Donation Time
I thought it interesting that they made up a new category for Series IV's. Never heard of a B
model before.
IVB in theory were the cars with the full sync transmissions, this apparently occured slightly before the cross body SIV cars (square bonnet/doors)

alpine_64

Donation Time
Kevin, yes cars ordered with OD have it on the VIN and Block

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
IVB in theory were the cars with the full sync transmissions, this apparently occured slightly before the cross body SIV cars (square b

I always thought, or read somewhere ,that there were Series IV's, early cars with non synchro 1st gear, and then
the SIV a with the synchro 1st. I've never seen a Series IV with square corners.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Just as with Tiger, where there were no MKIa's ….. there were also no SIVb's. Early MKIs were built on a Series IV chassis whereas later MKIs were built on a Series V chassis (noteworthy is that the VIN prefixes then changed from B947 to B382, respectively). Guys commonly refer to their Tigs as MKIs or MKIa's because with the advent of the SV build platform, several significant chances were made to body moldings and fittings. Similarly, later production SIV VINs were changed from (early) B940 to B941 and were commonly referenced as a SIVb. The B941 cars now featured the all-syncromesh gearboxes commenting with chassis B94100001.

Square-cornered doors and bonnets commenced with SIV chassis B94103022.

Square-cornered boot lids commenced with SV chassis B395000691 (ST) and B395000713 (GT).

Mark .…. volvoguys

65beam

Donation Time
FYI for owners that may not be aware of this, the production changes for Alpines are shown in the Tech Data section of this site. An owner about 30 miles east of me had a series 4 with square cornered hood and doors. Other than having leaded seams it was just like one of our series 5 Alpines which was #622. This series 4 is now stored in Columbus.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
That's interesting! Never seen a square cornered SIV, but then my old SIV was a B940 car.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Mark,

If we are going to be very accurate, they are all built on the unibody not chassis.

The nomenclature of MKIa for tigers indicated the switch to the SV alpine updates ( fresh air vents, vynil soft top stowage etc) but as came out of the archive research the factory actually reffered to them internally as a mkia though never a model distinction for marketing etc.

Apologies on my mistype earlier repeating the "IVb" it should have been IVa as the cross over change for the SIV alpines with new pressing and box. Iirc the change to the sqaure doors also becines the change for the revised window winder location.

At the same time the alpine IVa arrives with the square corner bonnet and doors the Tiger also switches and gains the GT doors.

alpine_64

Donation Time
FYI for owners that may not be aware of this, the production changes for Alpines are shown in the Tech Data section of this site. An owner about 30 miles east of me had a series 4 with square cornered hood and doors. Other than having leaded seams it was just like one of our series 5 Alpines which was #622. This series 4 is now stored in Columbus.

Bob all the opening panels would be the same as your SV, but the IV would be lacking the fresh air ventilation and it would still have the metal softtop covers and bolt holding the spare wheel.

65beam

Donation Time
Bob all the opening panels would be the same as your SV, but the IV would be lacking the fresh air ventilation and it would still have the metal softtop covers and bolt holding the spare wheel.
I'm aware of the differences you mentioned because we own both series 4 and 5 cars. The wife and I own cars of all series. 100_0545.JPG 107_0993.JPG FYI, series 5 #622 has the bolt for the spare tire. The green car is the series 4 and the blue car is a series 5. The big problem we've run into on restorations of series 4 back thru series 1 is all the lead that was used for filling seams. If not removed it tends to crack and if any moisture gets in thru the crack then the body starts to rust under the lead.. We removed all of the lead on the green car and110_0724.JPG our most recent project and the seams were filled by welding .[/QUOTE]

65beam

Donation Time
None of my parts books list the strap for the spare tire. They show a part number for a different bolt starting at B395009818 and it superceded earlier parts. Anybody know when they changed to the strap?

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm pretty sure the switch on the right side of the steering column is the turn signal switch. There is no switch on the left side. So no OD.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
So no lead was used in Series V cars? What was that crap that I dug out of the seams of our car (late Series V)?

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
So no lead was used in Series V cars? What was that crap that I dug out of the seams of our car (late Series V)?

Bill
There was lead in the area of the trunk hinges and other areas of the series 5 but you'll notice that there are open seams on the series 5 in the area of the front fenders at the windshield area and the rockers. Should say that there is a lot LESS lead used on a series 5. Check a bare metal car with round corner trunk and you'll find lead on the body to form the rounded corner on the body. I'm sure you know that I've restored other series of cars and they've all been bare metal restorations so I've seen things on the bodies that others may never see. I have step by step photos of the body restorations of the series 4 and series 5. Looking at the photos would show you the body differences. How much lead was used on the front of a car to fill seams ?100_0510.JPG These photos happen to be the series 4 but other than differences to fender attachment the same principal to fill seams applies. You can see the seam where the fender attaches to the scuttle. At one point Doug had removed the radiator support, hinge panel and front piece between the fenders in order to check and repair the frame rails.100_0701.JPG 100_0698.JPG