• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Intake manifold test

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I decided to see how evenly my intake manifold flows. The short answer is "like crap". First question:
Are the readings a valid indicator of what the cylinders see at wide open throttle?

My test rig is a leaf blower "hard plumbed" (no air escape) to the intake. Throttle was removed. All cylinder ports open. Readings are deflections (in degrees) of a cardboard flap. Results.

Port #1 25 degrees
Port #2 50 degrees
Port #3 80 degrees
Port #4 20 degrees

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
This is a manifold that I fabricated for use on the Duratec I4. Made up of exhaust pipe shapes, an "over the top" design with long (16"), skinny (1.54") dia runners. This is the third one that I have made for the D'tec and worst performer. Trying to figure out why. According to the math, it should be the best. I want to validate the test before going any deeper.
Bill

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Trumpets.jpg Sheet metal.jpg Bill, What length are stock and are they equal length or uneven length. I can do simulations on my Desktop Dyno to compare how different lengths move the TQ and HP curves. Rover V8 uses different length trumpets to tune their fuel injection for equal length to each valve. Sheet metal intakes for race cars use V tubes for equal length from ram log.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bill,

Manifold or port flow for normally aspirated engines is normally measured with a vacuum applied to the downstream end rather than applying pressure to the upstream end. Your throttle body is pretty well lined up with the middle two runners, but not with the outside (#'s 1 & 4) runners which may help to explain your results (higher "flap deflection" in the middle than on the ends).

Can you post pictures of the three manifolds?

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
I decided to see how evenly my intake manifold flows. The short answer is "like crap". First question:
Are the readings a valid indicator of what the cylinders see at wide open throttle?
Results.

Port #1 25 degrees
Port #2 50 degrees
Port #3 80 degrees
Port #4 20 degrees

Bill

Bill,

Since you are trying to measure flow that involves just one runner at a time, you may want to test with only one runner open at a time for more comparable results. Your leaf blower might be a bit much at a single port test level. Maybe you could hook the port outlet to LB intake and test at throttle body mount?

Just a couple of thoughts.

Have fun,
Don

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
View attachment 17746 View attachment 17747 Bill, What length are stock and are they equal length or uneven length. I can do simulations on my Desktop Dyno to compare how different lengths move the TQ and HP curves. Rover V8 uses different length trumpets to tune their fuel injection for equal length to each valve. Sheet metal intakes for race cars use V tubes for equal length from ram log.
Stock for this engine is about 13", equal length. Valve ports add another 4". What is a V tube?

I've decided that blowing air through the manifold is not a valid approach. I'm going to try to use the leaf blower as a vacuum source and simualtaneously suck air through all the ports. That would be a fairly close approximation of the conditions created in a running engine. Measuring is where things get sticky. Could I get meaningful data using a Pitot tube at each port?

Bill

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Stock for this engine is about 13", equal length. Valve ports add another 4". What is a V tube?

I've decided that blowing air through the manifold is not a valid approach. I'm going to try to use the leaf blower as a vacuum source and simualtaneously suck air through all the ports. That would be a fairly close approximation of the conditions created in a running engine. Measuring is where things get sticky. Could I get meaningful data using a Pitot tube at each port?

Bill

Bill,

Trying to test all ports at the same time is unrealistic. The flow will find the path of least resistance. You've already found that for continuous flow in all runners. The throttle body port is the restriction that will not allow enough air to flow to fill all ports at your test airflow level. Your test is only showing how much air you can push or pull through the TB. Which is less than the combined flow of the four runners.

OTOH, if you want to use a Pitot to test and do each port individually, you can construct a way to measure at the TB port while using a shop vac to pull air through the manifold. Ideally you might want to have a plenum between the Intake Port and vac to reduce the possibility of a vortex extending from the hose into the runner.

I suspect when all is said and done, you will find that you will only have a small difference as measured by inches of water.

Don

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Trying to test all ports at the same time is unrealistic. The flow will find the path of least resistance.

We might have a problem with language and the phrase "test all ports at the same time". My goal is to take individual port readings while pulling air through all ports, as I feel it is important to know the plenum is doing a good job of providing air equally to all runners. Testing while flowing air only through the port being tested would be a test of the runners, not the entire intake manifold.

I agree totally about the need for a second plenum.

I hope you are correct about suspected conclusion. I'm really not in the mood to build another manifold, that's why I'm testing this one.

Someone asked about pictures. I'm out of the picture taking business. The entire picture downloading/uploading process befuddles me as there are no screen prompts. My last two requests for computer help were met with silence, I ask for help only when the damn thing quits working.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
They briefly discuss the importance of equal flow manifolding. They are using TBI injection, which should deliver the same air/fuel ratio to each cylinder regardless of volume. Compare that to Port Injection, where fuel delivery is independent of air flow. If each cylinder receives a different volume of air, each cylinder will be operating at a different air/fuel ratio. Tune that.

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
View attachment 17746 View attachment 17747 Bill, What length are stock and are they equal length or uneven length. I can do simulations on my Desktop Dyno to compare how different lengths move the TQ and HP curves. Rover V8 uses different length trumpets to tune their fuel injection for equal length to each valve. Sheet metal intakes for race cars use V tubes for equal length from ram log.
Jim, rereading your post, I've decided V tubes are velocity stacks and are used to compensate for uneven runner length.

I would be interested in seeing printouts on the impact of runner length. I made this manifold so I can "trombone" the runners without a whole lot of trouble. I can vary the runner length from about 12" to 17".

Bill

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Bill, I'll look at the Duratec specs and vary the runner length and see how the HP and TQ changes. Is yours the 2.3 or 2.5?

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
They briefly discuss the importance of equal flow manifolding. They are using TBI injection, which should deliver the same air/fuel ratio to each cylinder regardless of volume. Compare that to Port Injection, where fuel delivery is independent of air flow. If each cylinder receives a different volume of air, each cylinder will be operating at a different air/fuel ratio. Tune that.

Bill

Actually, I thought you would find this statement most interesting:

The manifold should flow about 20% to 30% more than the heads or else they will cause a restriction to the flow potential of the system. Most of the manifolds we tested did not equal, let alone exceed, most well-ported iron heads, to say nothing of the Edelbrock, Indy or other aftermarket aluminum heads.

So what have you found to be the flow potential of your heads? It's not just a theoretical number from a formula.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Bill, My Performance Trends simulator only had specs for the 2.5 Duratec. HP stayed within 1000RPM. 5500-6500RPM. TQ varied quite a bit from 12" runner length for higher RPM peak to 17" for lower RPM TQ peak.

12" 5700-6400RPM depending on cams, mild to HP
13" 5300-5900
14" 4900-5500
15" 4500- 5100
16" 4300-4800
17" 4000-4500

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
husky drvr, I'm not sure that I am interested in the flow potential of the head. The redline for the 2.5 is 6500, which is also the rpm for max stock hp (170). I feel I would be a lucky SOB if I could find 170 hp with homemade manifolding and tuning. The previous intake, with short fat runners, had more hp at 5500 plus than this one, so I know there is more top end potential than I'm using. That does not bother me, I made this intake looking for more low end grunt. I am somewhat disappointed in that I seem to have picked more in the midrange than low end. I was hoping for the opposite. Right now, the engine really comes on at about 3200. That is not bad, the engine tachs 3,000 @70 in 5th.

Jim, my engine is the 2.5. Do the lengths include include port length?

Bill

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Bill, Here you go. Remember this is only a simulation, but it does show a trend.

18" 3800-4300RPM
19" 3600-4100
20" 3500-3900
21" 3300-3700