• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

ranger, s10 brake question, midget rack

Filister

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi, currently driving my 57 Rapier and enjoying it. It has alpine 4 spindles with alpine 5 hubs and rotors with the .7 master and no booster. Also has alpine 5 trans and rear ed.

Looking to the future I'm considering a v6 conversion. Looking at 2 possibilities , either a mild 2.8 conversion or possibly a 4.3 . I'd like to improve the brakes and convert to midget rack.

I have seen many references to the effect that the ranger or s10 rotors are a "bolt on" conversion. I have searched every mention of this I can find on the net and no one addresses how to handle the inner bearing id and od differences between the sunbeam and the others.

Can anyone explain in detail how this is handled?

The midget rack seems straight forward enough. It would be nice if anyone new of a site with measurements on rack placement. I see some have used the mgb rack but most use the midget. Anyone know why the mgb is not so popular? I have a complete mgb front subframe and it would be nice if I could utilize those parts.

Thanks in advance for help you can give.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
The Grassroots Sunbeam used Ford Ranger rotors and calipers and MGB steering rack. I'll add a link:

Filister

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks Jim, sleeve makes perfect sense, that's what I would have thought but I have seen no mention of sleeve in any write up. All seem to indicate its just a bearing match.

So, why did you choose the mgb rack instead of the midget on your project?

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Not my car but, the MGB rack is slower ratio than the Midget so easier steering. The Midget and MGB rack are both a little longer than optimum. He didn't have to bend the tie rods with the longer steering arms. The Miata rack is a better fit but hard to find a manual rack. There are articles on De-Powering the Miata rack to manual.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Bill, No but it is better with the longer steering arms. The turning circle is increased though.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
A lot of times I just go around the block with a MG rack and one of Dale's old kits installed.
I had forgotten how slow and easy the stock Tiger rack was very GT like ;)

Filister

Gold Level Sponsor
Great info, looks like I'm good to go with the mgb rack and the mustang ii rotors. On the shim for the bearings, is that a thin shim just to make up the difference, or is the spindle turned down a bit and a thicker shim made?

Trying to stay away from the custom stuff like the Wilwood rotors. Main concern on brakes (and somewhat on steering) is to have cheap, easily located parts for future maintenance. The Alpine set-up is working well but I had trouble sourcing reasonably priced calipers. I finally found a set of Capri calipers but they seem to be getting scarce also.
I was quite happy with the brakes and steering on my stock Tiger last century. Mainly just relaxed cruising. The Rapier will be similar.

The porsche rack and mustang ii rotors is a nice looking set up.

Thanks for the help.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Interference fit DOM tubing pressed on either spindle or inside bearing race. Spindle would be better, then you can buy off the shelf bearings. There are bearings for the outer but you need the spacer for the small inside bearing. May have to be turned or bored for right thickness. I'll get the dimensions for you. I think it was Fox Mustang not Mustang II. Also you may have to bore inner or outer hub deeper for correct bearing spacing. The spacer for the inner bearing may be a good product for my retirement business!

Last edited:

Filister

Gold Level Sponsor
I assumed (!) mustang ii would be close to the ranger. I think they have the same bearings. I have mustang ii hubs I can check.

Filister

Gold Level Sponsor
I have considered that, I have a pair of Mutt spindles on hand. I worry I don't understand spindle geometry well enough to get this right. I've read that it only requires reaming to a proper taper for the ball joint studs, but that seems to easy. And then which steering arms are used? I'm only considering the rack change to open up engine possibilities. I have assembled several complete mutt suspensions for street rods with good success but get a bit nervous with mix and match. A complete mutt set up for the Rapier is doable for me, but a lot more than this project requires. I also considered a complete mgb cross member swap as it appears straight forward.

I realize that for a 2.8 I don't really have to change anything, but the Rapier has the old worm and peg steering that is kinda dead feeling and very hard to find parts for. I'd like to upgrade that in as simple and straightforward way as possible.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Alpine outer bearing fits in all the hubs mentioned. Race OD is the same. Inner bearing sleeve ID needs to be .002 smaller than Alpine spindle for interference fit and OD the same as Mustang II spindle. Outer bearing spacing should be below threads. Inner bearing close to stock with seal in same spot.

Last edited:

Filister

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks for the info Jim. I have a friend making up a sleeve for trial purposes, but, right now I'm leaning to adapting in the mutt spindles