• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Crankcase ventilation System

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
My 1592cc engine had no crankcase ventilation valve and the tappet chamber was simply vented directly into the environment via a rubber hose draped over the bell housing at the back of the engine. I’m installing a 1725cc engine but since I don’t have a ventilation valve, I’m wondering where I should vent the tappet chamber outlet; does it make sense to simply connect it to the oil filler tube? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
That is correct jimjordan2 but, if I'm not mistaken, it inters the intake manifold via a crankcase ventilation valve, right? Since I don't have one and don't really want to purchase one unless I must, I'm wondering if it is OK to simply rout it to the oil filler tube.

PETER CLAYTON

Donation Time
If you do vent to the oil filler,I would advise fitting an in line flame trap,you do not want to risk any chance of igniting the crankcase oil vapour.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
On one of our 1725s we vent both Tappet chest cover and rocker cover to atmosphere through open tubes. This works well with no problems.

Tim R

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike Y

What intake manifold and carb / carbs are you going to use with the 1725?

Mike H

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
On one of our 1725s we vent both Tappet chest cover and rocker cover to atmosphere through open tubes. This works well with no problems.

Tim R
Well, I could vent both the Tappet chest cover and the rocker cover to the atmosphere but I'm trying not to polute any more than necessary.

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
If you do vent to the oil filler,I would advise fitting an in line flame trap,you do not want to risk any chance of igniting the crankcase oil vapour.
I do have a flame trap I was planning to use if I vent the tappet cover to the oil filter. Just wanted to know if this was an OK way to manage venting the crank case.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
My 1592cc engine had no crankcase ventilation valve and the tappet chamber was simply vented directly into the environment via a rubber hose draped over the bell housing at the back of the engine. I’m installing a 1725cc engine but since I don’t have a ventilation valve, I’m wondering where I should vent the tappet chamber outlet; does it make sense to simply connect it to the oil filler tube? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Mike,

Tappet cover to oil filler? That's not venting the engine, just sealing it up. I suspect you wont like the results short or long term.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Mike,
The risk on joining tappet vent to rocker cover vent is that you pressurise the engine. I read a report of a guy with a Triumph who had his dip stick blow out when he did something similar. I am not sure if that would happen on an Alpine engine but Rootes vented it for a reason.
If you are using the club manifold with your Weber it is important not to use the PCD in the threaded hole on inlet No 4 (its ill make then engine run too weak on No 4 and cause you problems, just fit a blazing plug).
Any increase in pollution is small compared to what comes out of the exhaust already, it is just a practical way of running the engine. Also don't forget on later 1725s they did away with the tappet chest vent completely and just vented the rocker cover to the carb.

Tim R

65beam

Donation Time
This photo shows one of the new 1725 short blocks set up with the side cover with the vent tube from a series 2. The car has the oil filler cap and valve cover from the series 2 installed110_0590.JPG

mikephillips

Donation Time
Probably won't blow out the dipstick, but you can get oil being blown out of the dipstick tube if the engine gets pressure since it enters at the bottom of the oil pan. Found this out 40 years ago with a worn engine, it could blow out a quart in 20 miles.