• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Halogen headlights

dmich2

Donation Time
I've been looking at upgrading to halogen headlights on Sweet Pea and looking at VB (no, I'm not buying from them....) they sell a 'heavy-duty headlight harness" they tout as required when changing to the halogens. They say you need these for the increased draw and that with this harness the headlights draw power directly from the battery and not from the headlight switch. They also state using this harness reduces the chances of wires melting or short circuiting.

Any thoughts from you "ohmheads"? I know Bill B will chime in...:p LOL

Dennis

bashby

Donation Time
Headlights are usually 55 watts and 55 watts is 55 watts. But, I am not stating that Lucas wiring does not need improvement.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Headlights are usually 55 watts and 55 watts is 55 watts. But, I am not stating that Lucas wiring does not need improvement.

Agreed. I'd go so far as to say I've never seen any road legal headlight is more than 55 watts.

If, for any reason, I was going to beef up the wiring to the headlights, I'd go whole hog and rewire the car. I see that Rebel Wire has a kit for the Alpine. I'll bet it would power most any "modernized" Alpine. I'd also wire the car with a ground system.

BTW, we can thank Paul A for the new Rebel Wire kit. You can see it in person at the upcoming Invasion.

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
headlights

i have halogen headlights in all of my cars and have had for many years. never has been a problem. i also have two cars with the wiring harness that VB sells and they have not been a problem either.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I run the halogens in my '65 Mustang. These were fine until I turned on the high beams one dark night and after a minute or two, the breaker in the headlight switch tripped and I was driving down the road in total darkness. :eek: This didn't happen with non-halogens.
Switched back to lows and the breaker reset. I have a new switch to install, just not the time.

But if you want to spend the bucks, there are LED headlights out there.

65beam

Donation Time
headlights

these lights appear to be very similar to the old lucas style PL700. do these have the same problem with moisture forming on the inside? i have always bought the sealed beam halogen lights. they don't get cloudy. and the cost is a lot less.

socorob

Donation Time
Thats a concern I have too. I do like the fact you can get 55/100 bulbs for them so you can have bright brights.

sunbeamowner

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have had Halogen lights on my series 1V for over 15 years. However because I run 90w low beam and 100w high beam (not really legal but effective especially if you have to flash some road hog dawdling down the road). I have installed two relays that handle the seperate circuits so that the ignition switch only needs to activate the relays.:)

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Dennis,

I installed a halogen conversion kit in my series IV without upgrading my wiring, but make sure you use the same wattage globes (55/60). With the better quality lenses/reflectors you will notice a huge difference even with the 55/60 globes. To be safe though, install a relay for the lighting and you will not have an issue.

Regards, Robin.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
h4's

I have an old set of Cibie lens and am putting in h-4 bulbs for the Alpine w/ original wiring. What is the wisdom of those who have used these bulbs?

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have had Cibie's in my SV for over 25 years (and before that I had Lucas PL's), with all original wiring, fuse box, switch, connectors, etc. -- pure stock electrics. Never had anything go wrong - not even so much as a blown fuse. Worst thing that happened was that the PL's reflectors went foggy ofter many years of use.

One other note, having nothing to do with the type of headlights, though... I ALWAYS use Lucas 35A fuses, *not* American fuses. See other discussions on the subject - they are rated totally differently and have the potential to fry your harness in the event of a short or overload.

65beam

Donation Time
headlights

kevin,
it's real easy to clean the PL's. mix a couple drops of dish detergent in water, pour it in the lamp, drop in a dime and slosh it around and you can clean the lens. don't try to use any other coin. the dime is the only coin thin enough to slide under the bars. it works! i have cleaned several this way.
sealed beam halogens work good for me for night driving and for normal speeds you don't overdrive them. i never exceed the speed limit by more than 6 mph anyway. but i can't remember many times in the last couple decades that any of my beams were out after the sun went down. all of my cars have original wiring, fuse boxes,etc and i have never had problems.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
kevin,
it's real easy to clean the PL's. mix a couple drops of dish detergent in water, pour it in the lamp, drop in a dime and slosh it around and you can clean the lens. don't try to use any other coin. the dime is the only coin thin enough to slide under the bars. it works! i have cleaned several this way.
sealed beam halogens work good for me for night driving and for normal speeds you don't overdrive them. i never exceed the speed limit by more than 6 mph anyway. but i can't remember many times in the last couple decades that any of my beams were out after the sun went down. all of my cars have original wiring, fuse boxes,etc and i have never had problems.

Thanks... yeah, they also started to rust - you know how they go... they get these spider-veins of rust around the back of the reflector - and besides, the Cibie's are actually a better headlight, so I'm happy. One day, when I'm dead and they liquidate my parts stash, somebody will get them and happily put them into some old nail... until then, they're in dry storage.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
BTW, we can thank Paul A for the new Rebel Wire kit. You can see it in person at the upcoming Invasion.

Bill

I just got the new Sunbeam kit for my Series V. It's a prototype at this point. After installation we will make any adjustments or changes and then offer the kit for sale. I will be driving my car with the installed kit to Invasion XI. The kit is similar to the Rebel 9+3 kit. You can view this kit and all the others at my website www.petesperformancewiring.com I will bring several kits to the Invasion.

65beam

Donation Time
headlights

kevin,
i was talking about cleaning the fog condition. it seems that you had a different problem than i ever had. mine have never rusted. maybe if you had cleaned them more often they might not have rusted.

loose_electron

Donation Time
Look into putting in LED lights instead. They make drop in compatible sealed beam headlights that are totally plug and play, plus they consume less current and are brighter. Look just like regular headlights and never burn out too.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I am wanting to install PLs with halogen bulbs, There are 2 similar styles I like on Ebay, any thought on one or the other?
Should I install a lighting relay to handle them? ,,or is it not an issue?

I also have fog lights but have actually never used them. they are original Lucas.

#1. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lucas-PL70...:EjwAAOSwYshUZ8Vh:sc:USPSPriority!92129!US!-1

#2. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Series-1-2...282403?hash=item3f70ac5763:g:p7QAAOSw0vBUeQ5i
I have the Lucas PL700, really like them. I also added relays to pull power from the battery and get the load off the Sunbeam wiring.
IMG_3719-X2.jpg