• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

idle vacuum

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
I have a newly rebuilt 1725 with stock cam - I'm getting 16" at 1000 rpm. If it should be 20" - 22", what else could cause lower vacuum?

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a newly rebuilt 1725 with stock cam - I'm getting 16" at 1000 rpm. If it should be 20" - 22", what else could cause lower vacuum?

Retarded valve timing or retarded ignition timing can cause low idle vacuum. Worn rings is a possible cause as is new rings that are not yet properly "seated."

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks for the input guys. Timing is 15 - 18 degrees, which is at the upper end of recommended. No PCV - I'm just running a road tube. Valves just re-adjusted "very hot" prior to checking. Brand new Weber carb from SS. New rings not yet seated properly - maybe. I have about 400 miles of pretty moderate driving on it.

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks for the input guys. Timing is 15 - 18 degrees, which is at the upper end of recommended. No PCV - I'm just running a road tube. Valves just re-adjusted "very hot" prior to checking. Brand new Weber carb from SS. New rings not yet seated properly - maybe. I have about 400 miles of pretty moderate driving on it.

Inlet manifold leak ?

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Intake manifold leak would definitely do it, but I have been over that thing with a fine tooth comb. Removed it, carefully inspected it, made sure the mounting surface was flat and true. No gaps when mounted. Got a good tip from a mechanic friend to put a piece of rubber hose on a propane torch and use the raw propane, which can be carefully directed, to check for leaks. No leaks found.

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Intake manifold leak would definitely do it, but I have been over that thing with a fine tooth comb. Removed it, carefully inspected it, made sure the mounting surface was flat and true. No gaps when mounted. Got a good tip from a mechanic friend to put a piece of rubber hose on a propane torch and use the raw propane, which can be carefully directed, to check for leaks. No leaks found.

How about around the carb base ?

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Carb has the spacer and 2 new gaskets - well sealed. I plan to borrow my friend's compression tester to see if anything odd is going on there.