• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Map pocket

ALC 68A

Donation Time
The Special Accessories section (ZU10) of the Parts List shows all the accessories that were available at different times and on which series they were available. Some must be very rare - for example the owner of a Series I in our area has a factory fitted radiator blind, which is listed in ZU10 as NLA by the 5th issue, and I've never seen another (nor has he).

Limey

Donation Time
I think I have two of those NOS in the box. No part number but Alpine written on them. Does it look familiar to you?

Oliver

Attachments

• Rad blind contents copy.JPG
    Rad blind contents copy.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 66
  • rad blind closed copy.JPG
    rad blind closed copy.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 67

ALC 68A

Donation Time
Where on earth are you finding such things?! They must be as rare as hens' teeth. However, I couldn't say whether they are the same as he has, because the blind is hidden behind the radiator grille. The only visible part is a little winding handle below the dashboard to raise and lower the blind. The correct Rootes part number is 1201363, by the way, in case you do find it written anywhere.

Limey

Donation Time
These 2 have a pull chain under the dash. I did have one I bought at an Alpine spares day with the winding handle. I thought that it was a non Rootes blind and I may have binned it:(

Is he certain his was factory fitted (probably Rootes) or dealer? (aftermarket)

ALC 68A

Donation Time
I couldn't say. He wasn't the first owner, but has owned the car since the mid 1960's and apparently the blind was already fitted when he bought it. Therefore, it could have been after market, but he has always believed it was Rootes' original. I don't have access to the car, however, as it doesn't leave his garage these days, although it is in running order.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Wonder why that post came up again. Deleted it. Checked my parts lists and indeed the 5th revision showed map pockets as mentioned. Good find so they must have existed...

Attachments

• IMG_20190828_200712.jpg
    IMG_20190828_200712.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Limey

Donation Time
Hi Bernd,

I wish I had taken some sort of measurement but I think I have enough pics of it from different angles to get it about right Give me a couple of months and I'll have one made. I do remember the metal angles it had so it should be pretty accurate.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Interestingly the parts list talks about "kits" , so there must have been some mounting content or such...

Last edited:

Limey

Donation Time
The map pocket bracket attach to the surface first and the pocket then fixes to these.

I suppose 'kit' would be applied to anything that came in two or more pieces or that needed some sort of assembly ie the bonnet flash or petrol cap was not a kit but the heater blower was

Last edited:

ALC 68A

Donation Time
Wonder why that post came up again. Deleted it. Checked my parts lists and indeed the 5th revision showed map pockets as mentioned. Good find so they must have existed...
Bernd - you seem to have the same parts list as me. Is yours an original copy or a photocopy? If original, is there a date anywhere for the 5th issue?

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yes, sometimes it helps to check the content of my old bookshelves ;-) . It is an original and just checked it in detail again, but there is no issuing date mentioned. As I found the entire parts list in UK and it only lists up to SIV content I would assume it has been issued around '64 ...

ALC 68A

Donation Time
Yes, sometimes it helps to check the content of my old bookshelves ;-) . It is an original and just checked it in detail again, but there is no issuing date mentioned. As I found the entire parts list in UK and it only lists up to SIV content I would assume it has been issued around '64 ...
Mine does include Series V content, e.g. a separate section AA for the 1725 engine, and covers changes up to the end of production, such as the introduction of the unpeaked headlamp bezels on the last 2,200 cars. As a former garage parts department book, I assume it was kept up to date for practical use, as owners would still require spares to keep their cars on the road for some time after the end of production, until parts stocks were exhausted.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Compared it with my last SeriesV parts manual as well and it also contains ZU issue 5. So we can assume it was the last and most comprehensive issue of the accessory lineup.

On a side note have just checked another SIV parts manual which I have and interestingly it contains ZU issue 2 . It was issued in March '63. Quite a short timeframe then to increase from issue 2 to 5. Not many differences though but a wide extension on the heater &. demister kits...

Last edited:

Limey

Donation Time
Given that a map pocket is listed; the history of this car and that the carpet of the pocket matches the car then for me, this is the Rootes accessory map pocket mentioned until someone can disprove. I know that's not empirical but on the balance of doubt its enough for me for the moment

And thanks for all the research. I didn't think we'd get this far

Oliver

twautomotive

Donation Time
Attached is a picture from the Series IV Home market accessory brochure titled "For your Sunbeam Alpine - GO!". It shows a picture of the map pocket. I only have a xerox copy. Does anyone have an original of this brochure and can post a better picture? We need to know..............
Tom
map pocket 1.jpg

Limey

Donation Time
That proves it then. I note the gear stick lock. I do have a NOS one but the rubber has self destructed sadly :-(

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
This looks easy to make using 3D printing. If someone can get me the dimensions I'd be happy to CAD it.