• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SII 'Hockey Sticks' and 3D printing?

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Kevin,

What kind of printer are you using, the powder printers are not getting very smooth, but depending on base material strength varies.

There is also.metal printing which several classic car suppliers to oem market are using the remanufacture obsolete cast parts

I use MakerGear M2 printers, and they are one of the best on the market for PLA, ABS, and Nylon printing. They use filament but produce a very nice product.

Metal printers are horrendously expensive and way out of my market, but yes, that is an alternative.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
My Guy (CenterLine Eng) uses carbon fibre for the parts he makes for me.

Just picked up another trial run of the fender vent (similar to the Tiger) that I am trying to develop. The product is carbon fibre and the finish is very smooth. Phil (Owner) says it can be painted but not powder coated.

The finish will vary apparently depending upon the position of printing (?). I noticed the Bonnet Release Knobs are a slight bit different (less smooth) than the Vents.

Also He says that they can embed metal such as studs or nuts for fasteners.

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
Jerry Hill here in California has reproduced them About $70/set!
I just talked with him and he said that he still has many sets.
Made from Aluminum billet. He does not remember how many of each finish he has left, but he did have some
polished, anodized black and possibly chromed
You can e-mail him "Jerry@Steadimoves.com"

Bruce

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Not a good picture, but this is one of Jerry's. They are very high quality and look great, I picked up mine when he first built them.
RIMG0987-XL.jpg

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Chrome billet looks nice. From my experience you can 3D print them in black plastics but you never achieve a smooth satin surface as the originals. Of course if you grind them down and apply paint the may get acceptable...

loose_electron

Donation Time
Has anyone considered fabricating them from fiberglass? I would think that some sheet fiberglass could be shaped and formed using woodworking techniques to get really close to the original device. Sanding out to something really smooth and spray paint should get you good results.

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
Like all plastics, they would eventually crack/brake And they are already have been manufactured!

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
It is possible, but the quality may not be what you want, and also a printer of that size would be quite costly.

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
There could be several owners that would like to have a decent set but due to life getting in the way they may not be able to spend the amount for the metal replacements. What material could be used to lower cost and still have a quality product that looks the same as originals?

bryandcarter

Donation Time
Btw, Jerry Hill (jerry@steadimoves.com) produces high quality Upper Door Finishers (aka hockey sticks). I just brought a pair. Est. $75.00 They are milled aluminum.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
FYI, I have created a 3D computer scan of the Upper Door Finishers...if any one wants it...please advise. No cost.
Thanks for doing this, Bryan. Those were unavailable for quite a while and even though they are obtainable now, that scan may one day be extremely valuable to the community!