• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1592 race cam?

RootesRooter

Donation Time
A friend is planning to put a bigger cam in his 1592 for vintage racing. He'll probably go to Delta Cam. Besides Vizardizing the head, I don't think he'll be doing anything exotic, like Chevy rods or 12:1 compression.

Any recommendations on a specific grind? Delta's KC grind was mentioned here once as a more-aggressive version of the KB. Is the KC considered a true race cam?

alpine_64

Donation Time
It really depends on what is done to the motor and what he wants out of it, pure track, deive on road to track or a road race cam.

What carbs is he running? What headers? Standard valve sizes and rockers? You say a vizard head... That will improve flow and lower conpression.. Is he changing pistons or milling head to bring compression at least back to standard or above?

If his motor cant breathe efficiently or spin high an agressive race cam wont help much.

So after all above please find attached cam specs for various rootes cams and a 1600cc cam in a race motor i have.

index.php

index.php

It would be worth speaking to dan walters and steve alcala about what they run in their race motors

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
When you send the cam off to Delta, send the rockers and the tappets as well. They will re-profile the rockers (to eliminate pocketing and ensure proper gapping) and they will grind and re-Parkerize the tappets so they rotate properly in service and have the correct hardness to match the cam. They don’t charge a lot for this, but it ensures a successful cam install.

alpine_64

Donation Time
What is the advantage of Chevy rods in a 1592 engine?
Barry, a decent set of chevy rods.. Especially aftermarket ones like Manley I beam rods are lighter and stronger than the rootes ones and ypu can get better quality rod bolts

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
The Chevy rods are nice... even stock chevy rods are good.... stock chevy rod weight 557 grams , Sunbeam rod is 727 grams. As mentioned before better rod bolts are available. Venolia pistons with Chevy wrist pins takes even more weight off. I am pretty sure the total for the 4 venolia pistons/chevy rods/ chvey wrist pins saved about 1216 grams.

Delta Cam – KC grind
Duration @ .016 262 deg
INT opens 24 closes 59
EX opens 62 closes 34
Cam rise 2.84 L/C 108 deg
Lash .014/.014

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Barry, a decent set of chevy rods.. Especially aftermarket ones like Manley I beam rods are lighter and stronger than the rootes ones and ypu can get better quality rod bolts

The Chevy rods are nice... even stock chevy rods are good.... stock chevy rod weight 557 grams , Sunbeam rod is 727 grams mentioned before better rod bolts are available. Venolia pistons with Chevy wrist pins takes even more weight off. I am pretty sure the total for the 4 venolia pistons/chevy rods/ chvey wrist pins saved about 1216 grams.

Did not realize that 1592 rods were that heavy. Taking 1,216 grams off the rods / pistons / wrist pins should allow taking something close to the same weight off the crankshaft counter weights. Taking over 5 pounds of rotating / reciprocating weight out of a 4-banger is a pretty big deal.

65beam

Donation Time
Jan,
What happened to all the parts that were in the highly modified engine that was at Tiger Auto after Stockman disassembled it?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Jan inine for or inline 6? Iirc about 10 years back people were switching away from the v8 chev rods to the inline 6 as you could just bore out the crank end and it had enough meat.

Which chev 4cyl rods did you use.. Were these in the destroked 1725 you built for the tedder alpine?
The inline-4 Chevy are the rods to use
Jan

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Jan, What happened to all the parts that were in the highly modified engine that was at Tiger Auto after Stockman disassembled it?
Bob, I have it here in my shop.
Michael, I wrote an article for the club's newsletter on the Tedder Project, and the rods used as well as other info is in that article.
Also to mention about plans to build an Alpine race engine....get it re-balanced. My speed shop commented to me how far off balance the stock engine was.
Jan

alpine_64

Donation Time
Jan assumed balancing was a given on a race motor for most...but probably should be mentioned.. Along with lightened flywheel.

If full prep.. Match weight for rods and pistons, blance crank, blance flywheel and clutch and them balance them as a unit with crank. Nice to dynamic balance them too if budget allows.

Head work.. Enlarging valves, flowing tops of valves, cutting and radiusing valve seats, blending and flowing ports, matching manifolds to ports, getting better valve spings set to the cam..

Then there are upsecs like roller rockers. Titanium pushrods...

List can keep going....

Personally a mod i think even for a normal alpine having head work should be to weld up water jacket cresents and drill them to do a csutom head gasket

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
From the Tedder Project article:

"To find these Chevy rods,
you could ask for the Chevy inline-6, 250cu-in, from a 1968 Camaro, or
the Chevy inline-4cyl/140 Mercruiser boat engine"

Hope that clarifies things a bit.

Bill

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
I bought them quite some time ago but I also remember Chevy 250cu- inches...

Michael: I love Manley rods a lot but think the Chevy ones are very good from price/performance ratio.

Anyway , at this stage just a plan for decent fast road going 1600 not for a race engine. Torque and responsiveness is my goal ...

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
...lightened flywheel.
Yes, I highly recommend to cut some material off the 1600 wheel. I wrote some more articles on building the Harrington Lemans 1600 engine. I know there is an illustration of where to remove material. I would never rebuild a stock 1600 w/stock camshaft and so on.
Jan

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
If you look at above timing chart a good 1725 cam is all what a strong road going 1600 wants. Especially if you seek for torque at lower revs rather than high rpm's. Perhaps I'm wrong but my theory anyway is that the Rootes engine is more keen for lift rather than duration...

Last edited: