• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Floor Panels

Beamin

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm trying to track down quality sources for floor panels. Searching through the forum, three names have popped up. Randy Willett, Chris Lunn, and the folks at Alpine West Midlands. I've got contact info for Randy and Alpine West but can't find anything on Chris. Can anyone help out? Also, are there any other sources I should consider?

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
Sunbeam Classic Spares in the UK although I have no experience with these panels from amy of the suppliers mentioned.

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
I got floor pans from Dave Lameront a while back...they were nicely done...I tried contacting him about some patch panels a couple months back but received no response after several tries via email and Facebook both so I contacted Chris Lunn for those. He was very responsive. His email is jach@execulink.com

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Now for a little heresy! I love working with metal and I am a fair welder...but in many cases there is a different option. FIBERGLASS. I know, I know, real steel or NO deal. When I used glass on my 1935 Ford pickup back in 1969/70, panels were not available like today, plus I was young and did not understand the error of my ways. Knowing there was enough floor left for a good pattern, I used a 36 grit disc and cut out all rust, mixed up fiberglass matt and started putting it over the roughed metal. Using filler with strands of glass and cardboard backing, I made new floors. With a little body work to smooth things out, flat black paint then using what I think was the forerunner of pickup bed spray liner, I had a very good floor. Underneath I smoothed it a little and sprayed undercoating as it was a driver. Two years later I traded it for a 1940 Ford coupe then 30 years later about 2000, I got to see it again. The floors were still nice. Just like welding, how one does the work makes all the difference. I LOVE steel, but some guys don't have a welder or the bucks to have it done, but $50.00/$100.00 of glass and undercoating can get things done.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Now for a little heresy! I love working with metal and I am a fair welder...but in many cases there is a different option. FIBERGLASS. I know, I know, real steel or NO deal. When I used glass on my 1935 Ford pickup back in 1969/70, panels were not available like today, plus I was young and did not understand the error of my ways. Knowing there was enough floor left for a good pattern, I used a 36 grit disc and cut out all rust, mixed up fiberglass matt and started putting it over the roughed metal. Using filler with strands of glass and cardboard backing, I made new floors. With a little body work to smooth things out, flat black paint then using what I think was the forerunner of pickup bed spray liner, I had a very good floor. Underneath I smoothed it a little and sprayed undercoating as it was a driver. Two years later I traded it for a 1940 Ford coupe then 30 years later about 2000, I got to see it again. The floors were still nice. Just like welding, how one does the work makes all the difference. I LOVE steel, but some guys don't have a welder or the bucks to have it done, but $50.00/$100.00 of glass and undercoating can get things done.

My conscience won't let me ignore this one.

What was done to a 1935 Ford pickup has absolutely nothing to do with proper floor pan restoration on a Series Alpine.

A 1935 Ford pickup is body-on-frame and the floor pans are non-structural.

A Series Alpine is a unibody chassis and the steel floor pans are essential to the chassis structure.​

I hope nobody seriously considers putting FBG floor pans in a Series Alpine.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Barry and Procraft, I admit a structural pan is not a place to save $$$, and I did say, "...the error of my ways." All depends on how bad things are.