• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Overdrive switch mount thingy

gary1725

Donation Time
I am looking for the piece that holds the overdrive switch in place in the steering column surround - I thought someone had remade some of these that were perhaps a little different and easier to use than the originals - I currently have two oval pieces of metal that sandwich either side of the opening holding the switch - it works but is messy when taking the cowl on and off...

thanks

Gary

65beam

Donation Time
I am looking for the piece that holds the overdrive switch in place in the steering column surround - I thought someone had remade some of these that were perhaps a little different and easier to use than the originals - I currently have two oval pieces of metal that sandwich either side of the opening holding the switch - it works but is messy when taking the cowl on and off...

thanks

Gary
Early series cars have a different steering column surround than later series. Which series do you have? I have the rubber pieces for the later series that have the opening for the switch. They have metal molded in the rubber for strength.

gary1725

Donation Time
Early series cars have a different steering column surround than later series. Which series do you have? I have the rubber pieces for the later series that have the opening for the switch. They have metal molded in the rubber for strength.

Yes Sorry, should have stated '67 SV....... Do you remanufacture these?

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am looking for the switch plate for a series v overdrive

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Gordon,
It's me. The car is Jean's.
Bob nice to hear from you. After the Stanton Va show I bought the dark blue alpine from Roger P who has moved back to the UK. I found an original seriesV o/d switch new in Canada. I need the switch plate for the series V do you have any?

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Oftentimes column-mounted overdrive switches thought to be for Alpine are actually for other variants, such as the MKI Humber Sceptre. Rootes used the Lucas type SS10 OD switch but, as with Lucas ignition and indicator type switches, there were differences. The Alpine and variant switches look similar and function in the same manner. The Sceptre switch has a flat spot running across the length of the threads that matches a bracket mounted on the steering column. The Alpine has a single groove running across the threads to match a 'tongue' on the clamping plates which mounts on the column cover. Also, the thread diameter on the variant switches is larger and cannot be mounted on Alpine clamping plates without enlarging the hole(s) and modification for the flat spot.

Also be aware that the Lucas SS10 had handles that differed in length, finish and rake.

That said, any SS10 will function with a Series 3-V Alpine self-cancelling OD gearbox but depending on which part number it is it may require modifications to the clamping plates and handle.

Mark .…. volvoguys

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Oftentimes column-mounted overdrive switches thought to be for Alpine are actually for other variants, such as the MKI Humber Sceptre. Rootes used the Lucas type SS10 OD switch but, as with Lucas ignition and indicator type switches, there were differences. The Alpine and variant switches look similar and function in the same manner. The Sceptre switch has a flat spot running across the length of the threads that matches a bracket mounted on the steering column. The Alpine has a single groove running across the threads to match a 'tongue' on the clamping plates which mounts on the column cover. Also, the thread diameter on the variant switches is larger and cannot be mounted on Alpine clamping plates without enlarging the hole(s) and modification for the flat spot.

Also be aware that the Lucas SS10 had handles that differed in length, finish and rake.

That said, any SS10 will function with a Series 3-V Alpine self-cancelling OD gearbox but depending on which part number it is it may require modifications to the clamping plates and handle.

Mark .…. volvoguys
Mark the I’d switch I bought out of Canada was new in package and was the correct part number for the Alpine V

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bob nice to hear from you. After the Stanton Va show I bought the dark blue alpine from Roger P who has moved back to the UK. I found an original seriesV o/d switch new in Canada. I need the switch plate for the series V do you have any?
Bob who in Harrisburg does your chrome? There was a shop in Richmond that did good work but is gone now. I have 4 over riders that need chrome.

65beam

Donation Time
Bob who in Harrisburg does your chrome? There was a shop in Richmond that did good work but is gone now. I have 4 over riders that need chrome.
Librandi's 93 Airport Dr, Middletown Pa 17057 717-944-9442 They are across the street from the Harrisburg airport.