• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ser V Firmer front end

Hodee

Donation Time
I want to firm up the front end on my Ser V. I'm thinking Tiger springs and sway bar with KYB Gas Adjust shocks. I do not race the car but enjoy driving back country roads. Any suggestions would be appreciated and sourcing Tiger springs have proven difficult. Sway bar can be found from ADDCO I think. Anybody using this set up? Any reports or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks as always.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
You might want to rate your springs before you rush out and get Tiger springs and then get some springs to increase the rate Food For Thought when we had our first Tiger it had 335 front springs which were aftermarket I eventually went with ,450 fronts hell of a difference as to how the car behaves.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Are you looking for better handling, lower stance or firmer ride? Whats the balance you want between handling and ride?

Stock tiger springs will have same ride height as the alpine but much stiffer, the ride will be much firmer but the car will still sit highish.

A good setup from a few years back was the series 3 alpine springs from VB. Will lower the front end and stiffen slightly. Reduce roll with a larger front sway bar.

Add poly bushes to sharpen steering, but harshness will increase.

If its just handling... Buy a set of nice sports tyres like dunlop derezzia or toyo proxes...

Food for thought

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Are you looking for better handling, lower stance or firmer ride? Whats the balance you want between handling and ride?

Stock tiger springs will have same ride height as the alpine but much stiffer, the ride will be much firmer but the car will still sit highish.

A good setup from a few years back was the series 3 alpine springs from VB. Will lower the front end and stiffen slightly. Reduce roll with a larger front sway bar.

Add poly bushes to sharpen steering, but harshness will increase.

If its just handling... Buy a set of nice sports tyres like dunlop derezzia or toyo proxes...

Food for thought
We like the Tiger sway bar. Very effective at controlling sway without noticeable ride deterioration. That becomes very important as you age. Poly bushes are also very squeaky and overall, are one "improvement" I wish I had never made.

Bill

Hodee

Donation Time
Currently my A arms, ball joints, tie rods are all new with rubber bushings for comfort. New sway bar I will use rubber as well. Ride height is ok but could stand to reduce front by 1/2 inch. I'm running 15 wheels and 205 tires so not much room to give. A few rubs on large dips. Just pushing on the front at a stand still there is way too much give. Shocks are from SS Monroe I think but too soft. Gonna try KYB gas adjust. Springs are my main question mark so maybe the Ser 3 from VB may work out. Comments?

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Now that I think about it they may be taller than Series 1 and 2 but shorter than Series 4 and 5. There is an old thread on here with the spring lengths. I'll try to find it.

Hodee

Donation Time
Archives state that SerV springs are 12.62 height and Ser3 are 11.65 which would work but I need to know spring rates. Did a search and nothing found. Anyone know this info?

Hodee

Donation Time
Thanks for the replies. I do not have a press to check current rate, and they are still in the car. All I know right now is that they are 52 years old, stock, and are very soft. I have heard less than good replies concerning orders from VB. My thoughts are that a coil spring would be hard to screw up as long as I get the part number correct. Hopefully they may know the rate to compared to a stock Ser V. Then again, maybe they have no clue...

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Some things from VB are quite all right. Windshields are an example. To the best of my knowledge, their coil springs are also okay. At least I don't recall any horror stories about them.

Bill

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
You can also go to a spring specialty shop. They can measure and make what you want.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
upload_2019-6-16_10-13-27.png

Most of the WSM's contain a wealth of info on front springs.

free length - static laden length = compressed distance >> static laden loading / compressed distance = lbs./inch design load rating

S III >> 11.65 - 7.85 = 3.8 ............... 950/3.8 = 250 lbs./inch

S IV >> 12.62 - 7.55 = 5.07 ............ 1040/5.07 = 205.13 lbs./inch

From these numbers, the presumption is that Rootes used a longer, softer spring to give a softer, more compliant ride quality in the S IV. The extra length is there to give the same approximate ride height - or a bit higher - to help prevent bottoming the suspension on bumps and negating the softer ride quality.

Another footnote to consider, the OE spring rates and shock valving was designed to accommodate bias-ply tires, not radials. Radials tend to be both more absorptive of road imperfections, due to the soft sidewall construction, and heaver than bias ply tires of the same size range - not even considering the larger upsized wheels and tires most want on their cars today. All of these changes should be supported by stiffer springs and shocks just to maintain parity with the OE design parameters. How much stiffer? Unknown, but a guess of 10>25% higher rate is probably on the low side considering what equipment most are saying they are installing these days.

Just some food for thought.

HTH
Don

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Joel, The link above that one shows a pic of Jim's (BlackDog) Mustang II spring fitting the stock rubber upper isolator. Must be around 4.5" too.